Posts by rava

I find Tappits and Clikstix about the same in terms of ease of use, so I agree to focus on a lettering style you like.Coral3: I have to ask, how on earth do you get the fondant/gp out of the JEM alphabet cutters? I love this lettering, too, but still have trouble getting the gp out. I let it dry for a few minutes, cut, then use a pin to pry it loose (but sometimes it distorts/ruins the shape).
I've also found that it is easier to achieve sharp edges if you roll your fondant thinner (between 1/8" to 1/16"). Both ganache and SMBC will work great under fondant.
I've used both methods for smoothing SMBC - upside down vs. freezing/scraping with a bench scraper. Both work equally well for SMBC. Sometimes I use upside down, but lately I've gotten lazy and just freeze and scrape with a bench scraper (while spinning the cake on a turn table).
I agree with the PP that any butter-based buttercream will work well under fondant. I use SMBC on most of my cakes, which firms up very hard when chilled. It allows me to achieve a clean edge with fondant.
Thanks for the feedback - I really appreciate it. I think I'll just buy Sugarshack's DVD, since I'm sure it will answer the many questions I still have about this method.
I'd like a method that works for all types of cakes, so am leaning towards the cut-in-hole way. Plus, I'd be too scared to transport a cake that was stacked at an angle. One of these days I'll try Planet Cake's way, but perhaps not for my first attempt.Is Sugarshack's DVD the best one out there?
Also agree on the cooking spray. I brushed it on black jewels for a cake I made this weekend, and it worked out beautifully!
I am planning to make my first topsy turvy cake in a month, and would like to start researching methods now. I've learned that there are 2 main ways to accomplish this: 1) cut-hole-in-cake method (cakes sit level but look topsy turvy); or 2) Planet Cake method of stacking dense cakes directly on top of the other (tilted!). The cut-hole-in-cake method seems like such a pain to assemble, but is probably more stable? However, I love the crazy angles on Planet Cake's...
I enjoy making my own, but would not think twice about purchasing plastic toys if I'm running out of time (I have 2 young babies so my caking time is limited). With that being said, "I" still think it's cheating because I'm just a cake snob that way. The kids, however, couldn't care less. They seem to enjoy the plastic toys more, and the parents seem to like the handmade figures since they can display it as a keepsake.
What a coincidence! I used blue Satin Ice on a cake I made this weekend (to save time, yeah right!!), and I found it extremely difficult to use. I ended up using more shortening and glycerine just to get the finish semi-smooth. I still ended up with wrinkles at the base and a few pock marks, but was able to hide most flaws with decorations. I thought it was the brand (my first time using SI), but maybe it was just a bad batch. Either way, I think I'll stick to making...