Posts by JennW

Yes, I meant I will be layering them (filling with mousse), but didn't want to do tiers.  I like the suggestion of the 12x12x4, you are right about transportation, that was another big worry of mine!  :)  Do you recommend going to Home Depot and making a board from wood or do you think a drum or foam core would be strong enough? Thank you!
This is a photo sent to me by a customer who needs a cake similar to this for 150 people.  I have only made 1 cake that was for 80, so not sure about 150.  Any suggestions on what size cakes I should use, and how many, to make a cake to feed that many, and not in the stacked cake form.  I am guessing I will have to make a few and piece them together, any tips on how to make sure it is all perfectly even? Thanks! Jenn
Anyone in the cake/cupcake world, professional or hobbyists, interested in different colored cake boxes?  If so, what colors would you like to see?  I know there is white, pink and brown out there, would you buy other colors? 
Can you give me a list of maybe the top 5 items you purchase online most often?  Do you buy them online because of price, convenience or necessity (no shops near by)? What is more important to you personally, low cost supplies or good quality supplies?   On a side note: What would you be willing to pay to rent kitchen space to do your baking/decorating/cookie or candy making?    I am doing some research, and would love to hear your feedback!  Thanks so...
Hello, I have been asked to do a princess castle cake next month. I have only made one other one before and I thought everything was fine until I had to transport it. The fondant pillars pulled away from the cake and I had to pull over to fix them. I am still kinda new at this, so need some advice on how to best attach the pillars to cake and board to prevent this. Also this will most likely be 3 tiers high, a first for me...do I assemble then deliver or deliver then...
Thank you for all the compliments, and even more thanks for the suggestions!! (I love this site!) It was a wilton foil board, but I like the idea of doubling them up for heavier cakes. Are there boards out there for 'heavy' cakes that I could purchase? What type of board does a wedding cake go on, wood? This cake was moved, a couple times actually, so really nervous about what I may hear back from her...
I don't have a picture from after the cracks started, good thought though for next time. The before is the star wars cake in my gallery. I have been playing with decorating for a while and enough people have bugged me to do cakes, ive just recently started charging mostly to cover my expenses (ive only had about 3 paid cakes). I do mention to people that im still learning.....(and i have a FT job I don't intend on leaving)Anyway, the colors were Wilton gel sky blue...
I am new to cake decorating and learning with each one I make. Although I am sure it is out there, I searched for a while on these forums, but couldn't find an answer to my problem. Anyway, I iced a cake with BC today, it was smooth (mostly as I am still learning to perfect this too), I finished the cake around noonish, put the cake in a box with lid open (too tall for the lid to close), and put on a flat surface. I went about my day, then when the customer came to pick...
Hello all, I am making a cake for a kids birthday party this month, and was given the ok to make whatever flavor combo I want. This is great since I am still new at this and love to experiment with different flavors, but on the otherhand, there are so many choices I am having trouble deciding. I am looking for suggestions on cake and filling flavors for kids cakes? Thank you so much!!
I am all about change, not a problem. But where did our favorites go, I can find the button, but then everything I had saved is not there, big bummer. Also the search button, which for me is the most important feature, is not working...big huge bummer!