Posts by vogt51

Thank you for your responses! I never really know how long I bake a cake. I go by the wilton chart and start checking it when they say the cake will be done. It always takes longer, by at least 15 minutes or so. I think it's the whole cake that's gummy. Mostly the middle though. When I go to cut it, it doesn't want to cut well, it gums up my knife and rips the cake a bit. The outside of the cake is dark brown and it pulls away from the pan sides. When I put a skewer in...
Hello,   I've been using the following recipe for my white cakes but I'm finding that the cakes are gummy. Am I doing something wrong or is there something wrong with this recipe? 1 box pilsbury white cake mix 1 cup flour 1 cup sugar 3/4 tsp salt 1 - 1/3 C water 4 egg whites 8 oz sour cream 2 TBS vegetable oil 1 tsp clear vanilla 1 tsp almond extract   I bake at 350, should I be baking at 325? I fill my pans 3/4 full and use metal flower nails...
Okay, I'm going to go with the cc flavoring then. The last thing I want is a big mess on her special day! Thank you!
I once tried to use cream cheese icing under fondant and it didn't turn out well. It's like the icing melted? It was a mess! Is there a cream cheese icing recipe that I can use under fondant? This bride REALLY wants cream cheese icing!
I am making a 5 tier wedding cake (6", 8", 10", 12" and 14") and I would like to know what you guys use as a cake board with a cake this heavy. I normally use a cake drum, but I'm assuming that won't be sturdy enough for this cake.
Thank you. I guess I just wasn't really understanding so I did not think the other threads applied to my problem. Obviously wrong there! I appreciate you taking the time to explain it to me so that I understand. :)
I've looked through some threads about this and so far I haven't really found an answer.   I have noticed that my cakes are bulging on the sides where the layers are put together. Most of my cakes don't have filling, so it's not the filling coming out. I do put a layer of buttercream between each layer of cake so I assume it's the buttercream layer coming out. But why? My cakes are not frozen or really cold when I put them together, so it's not a settling issue...
I found a WASC recipe that is different than the original one. This one uses egg whites. It also has some oil in it. I will give this one a try. Thanks everyone! :)
My customer wants a white cake and I'm going to try the WASC recipe, but it says to use whole eggs. Won't that make the cake yellowish?
That makes complete sense and I've had trouble with those issues (bulging, bubbles) in the past as well. I will always have my cakes at room temp from now on. :)