Posts by Babycakes820

Thanks so much for the feedback! BlakesCakes - I'm pretty sure the cake was level, since I actually used a level to make sure... But the advice about the cake board is VERY helpful! I'll be sure to do something stronger next time.
I made a HUGE full sheet cake, and by the time I got it to its location, it had gotten a significant crack down the middle.It was a from-scratch yellow butter cake, in 3 layers (one single layer topped with another layer that I torted) - with moistening syrup and a french custard filling. I covered it with IMBC and refrigerated it overnight. I moved it when it was still chilled.Any idea what happened? The cake was probably a full 4 inches + tall by the time it was...
Phew! What a relief! I was afraid I'd ruined it... And it turns out it's been in the fridge for days now, because my young children and mother-in-law have been demanding my attention the last few days and I haven't gotten to making my leaves yet. Anyway, thank you all so much for the reassurance! I'll just leave the finished product unrefrigerated.
Oh, OK... I just used the CK gumpaste mix. I've read that you weren't supposed to refrigerate the gumpaste, or the mixture may never harden. I'm glad to be wrong about that!!! I just didn't want to take the time to make like 100 leaves and find out they won't harden. They have to travel, so I want them to be just right.Thanks!
I am using gumpaste for the first time, so please forgive this newbie question...I mixed up some gumpaste yesterday and knew it needed to rest for 24 hours before use. I put it in the fridge without thinking, but now I'm nervous about using it. Will it still harden the way I want it to when rolling the decorations? (I'm making veined leaves.) Or should I pitch the refrigerated stuff and start all over again?Thanks so much for the help!
Thanks for the quick reply! I just let the mixer keep going and the texture seemed to right itself, so I gave it a try anyway, and it looks OK.I purposely avoided meringue powder (like the Wilton stuff, that has sugar, etc. in it), but I wanted to try powdered egg white just to avoid any food safety issue. I'm doing my first wedding cake in July and it's an outdoor wedding, so I just wanted to see if a pasteurized product (WillPower) would be a good idea for this...
I have a great IMBC recipe that's been foolproof until now, and I'm trying using powdered egg white instead of fresh egg white this time.The powder took longer to whip up than I had thought, and once I finished adding the syrup, the egg whites lost their fluff and the mixture still looks soupy. I'm still beating on high to wait for the meringue to cool down before adding the butter... I don't want to waste the butter if this won't turn out!HELP? What did I do wrong? I...
I'm a newbie... I'd appreciate any advice on this!I'm making a small wedding cake and the bride (my sister) wants branches and green leaves to decorate the cake. It's a white butter cake with orange creamsicle filling and vanilla bean IMBC. I had originally thought I'd pipe dark chocolate branches on the cake, but after tasting my last trial cake, I felt like the chocolate would overwhelm and detract from the flavors they wanted.I don't really want to just pick up fake...
How about cream cheese frosting, or even just a basic whipped cream (you can flavor that however you like)?