Posts by Sugar_Art_Cakery

Show me that particular purse cake in real life or in cake....you'll find that it's an original design. Did I use the C's for the cake, yup....but I didn't copy someone else's work verbatim....I changed it up and made it my own. I didn't pass off the idea for the Coach C's as my own....it's very clear who they belong to.   But this isn't the jist of the problem here...   She passed off my exact work, ideas and designs as her OWN.....and was offered more work because of it.
I apologize for the baker comment....wasn't my intention to put down anyone without professional training. I think I was referring more to her particular circumstance where she has no training whatsoever and her cakes absolutely look homemade yet she passes herself off as a professional baker and decorator.   Wasn't meant to offend anyone else and please accept my apologies.
  Okay...let me make this clear....I'm not mad because she incorporated similar themes into her cake. She COPIED my cakes.... everything was placed in exactly the same position as my cakes...you could lay a photo of my cake over hers and everything is exactly the same except her execution sucked.   This has nothing to do with themes or inspiration.....she copied my design EXACTLY and then passed it off as her OWN with me standing there! What is not clear about that? She...
Obviously, I have dealt with brides of the same caliber as you have dealt with. When they bring me a photo of a cake they want replicated, here's what I tell them..."I won't copy that cake exactly the way it is. I will do something similar and I will make it better. One, because I don't agree with copying the work of another person and two, why would you want the same EXACT cake that another bride had? Don't you want something completely new and unique to YOUR...
Your exactly right....I am questioning the integrity of anyone who says it's ok to steal anothers' idea or design verbatim..... You do know that the word STEAL refers to illegal and morally wrongs acts, right?   AGAIN, inspiration is one thing....stealing someones' idea outright is morally wrong.....
  I wouldn't call her a baker....she's self-taught (no training) and it shows....lol   I already know that my sister showed her photos of my cakes and that's why Tammy copied them. Tammy also damn well knew that they pics were of my cakes and she knew I'd be at the party.   At this point, I'm just like whatever....   First and foremost, I would not steal another cake artists original idea....would I use their cake as an inspiration? Of course but I would build onto it,...
I didn't do something about it right then for 2 reasons....   1.) It was my niece's graduation party and it probably would have started a scene.....my sister would have gotten involved and her throwing punches is not an unknown thing...lol  There is no love lost between her and I...I was there for my niece.   2.) I'm a 6' tall 250lb retired Cop and she's all of 5'2 and I was PISSED....it was better that I walked away .
As I said before, I have absolutely NO problem with someone using my cakes for inspiration....by all means, please do! When you get inspiration from someones cake though, you take that general idea, build upon it and make it your own.   What ticks me off is that this woman copied TWO of my cakes verbatim and rolled them into one without even asking me if I minded. She didn't use my cakes as inspiration, she COPIED them..Element for element, color for color and style...
@ mcaulir - their not free to take someone else's design, their original idea and copy it and then make money from something you designed. That's ridiculous. That's like saying a painter can paint a distinctive painting and that another painter can COPY his work exactly and then sell it for profit?? How incredibly wrong would that be??  
I had to get this off my chest as I'm seething right now and Id love to know what others think about this.   I was recently asked by my sister to do a High School Graduation cake for my niece - of course my sister waited until 2 weeks before the party to ask me to do the cake. Due to scheduling conflicts and being out of town prior to the party, I couldn't do the cake.   Now keep in mind that my sister is the MOST insensitive person alive when it comes to my cake...