Posts by wonkycakes

Just looked at your Culpitt link to see what those hardboards were, and I feel mighty foolish as I have dozens of them in my stockroom right now!  *Blush*  Guess I just never paid attention to what they were called before :))
Hi Suzanne!   I order most of my supplies from the UK, as Finland really doesn't have much on offer.  I do have solid plastic dowels, but have never heard of cake hardboards.  Are these the same as cake drums?   The way I centrally dowel cakes is to drill the holes in all the cards/drums before I put the cakes on them, then I thread the cakes on the central dowel from the top once the dowel is firmly screwed into the base.  This is a very narrow, tall cake which...
Hi!   I have a 5-tiered wedding cake for the end of July.  It will be chocolate mud with chocolate ganache and buttercream fillings.  I'm quite confident doweling cakes and putting in a central dowel for support, but my concern is whether the support dowels in the bottom tiers will hold up with all the weight on top. The base tier is only 12" as they want a tall, narrow cake.  My estimate is that the cake will be 30-36" tall without the floral topper.  The design has...
I don't think there are any hard and fast rules. Make a few extra butterflies and experiment with colours. The bodies would look better with stronger colour, so my preference is to paint the bodies with dusting colour dissolved in alcohol and just dust the wings, perhaps painting a few darker spots near the wing tips.
A thick dam around the edge is essential. I use fresh fruit a lot in cakes, and I never have a problem with leaking. The trick is not to bring the fruit all the way to the edge (hence the dam). I live in a cooler climate so can't advise with confidence, but I would think that once the strawberries are sealed inside the cake, 60 degrees should be cool enough. If the strawberries are layered on top of the buttercream, it shouldn't leak. How about making the filling...
Unfortunately there's only one way to find the perfect recipe, and that is to try a whole bunch until you find one that works for you. The internet is a great place to start; read the reviews and pick a bunch that have good reviews.I do understand the problem of what to do with all that cake! Halving the recipe was a good suggestion. Perhaps you could organize an informal cake testing party. Invite your friends and neighbours over and have them rate each cake. That...
I've never had a problem with my MMF and I use it exclusively to cover fondant cakes. This is the recipe I use:1lb marshmallows + 3tblsps water (+flavouring)2lbs powdered sugar3oz shortening at room temperatureheat marshmallows and water in microwave at 30-45 sec intervals until just melted. They might still hold their shape, but when you stir them they will turn into goo.Sift the powdered sugar into a large mixing bowl and add the shortening. Add the marshmallow goo...
For the lemon filling, just use your favourite vanilla buttercream recipe, add freshly grated lemon zest (be sure to use either organic lemons or scrub the lemons very well with hot water to remove any preservatives!) and replace all or some of the milk with lemon juice. How much lemon juice is really dependent on personal preference. This is a great filling that doesn't require refridgeration and guaranteed to be lemony!!
For that sized cake transport shouldn't be any problem. Just make sure you use a central dowel from top to bottom to stabilize the two tiers. pack in a transport box, or deep cake box and load it into the car in such a way that there is no lateral movement anywhere. A non slip mat under the cake box is really great. If you can cover the cake it will be just fine in the trunk packed this way. Alternatively the one who is not driving could sit in the backseat with the...