Posts by jennajane

Hi Yumkat, I'm not claiming to be wise, but here are a few quick answers - buttercream:  Wilton's American buttercream works well and can sit out for a long time.  I use half butter half veg shortening, because I think it gives a better texture and taste. It is nice as you can always just add more sugar to make it thicker or milk/cream to make it thinner. -yes fondant is to cover cakes.  To make characters, something more like gumpaste is better.  It is easiest to...
I like Martha Stewart's Cupcake book for the recipes, so of the decorating is good too. Jenna
I am trying to bake with more organic ingredients, and was really happy when the restaurant supply store I buy my organic flour from started to stock organic sugar. I bought a 50lb bag, and have been having a few problems with it. I made a yellow and chocolate butter cake from the cake bible a week before and they turned out great. I made it after with the organic sugar and they came out dry. Last night I tried the neoclassic buttercream from the cake bible, which...
I am a big fan of ganache under fondant. You can get your edges super square, let the ganache harden, then lay on the fondant.
I would do both. tint the buttercream a background color, then use maybe a slightly darker color to highlight the parts you can hit with the mist. It might be really hard to hit all the cracks and crevices of the roses with just the spray. But the spray will give you a nice depth of color by just hitting the ends.
I am not following where you are considering putting the rkt. If it is like a pick-up truck, I would cut a piece of heavy cardboard wrapped in tinfoil in the shape of the bottom as the sturdy base, then stack the cakes on top of that. leave notches for the wheel wells. Then put the cardboard with the cake on top of a structure to get it off the ground, and 'glue' on the wheels with royal icing or even skewers if the front wheels are off the ground. For the nascar in...
I would highly suggest using ganache after you carve the cake. It allows you to fill lots of little holes and crisp up all the lines. I posted a bunch of pictures of the steps to making my severed head cakehttp://cakecentral.com/gallery/2193858/severed-head-cakeI do all my carving with a serrated bread knife. I have a dump truck in my gallery too, where I made the wheels out of rice cereal treats and covered in ganache and fondant. The whole truck sat on a frame made...
I think RKT would be the way to go for a ship that size. Mold them as close as possible before hand then sculpt with a bread knife after they have hardened. I also went the gumpaste route for the sails, let them dry for a couple days (I used my violin case) then glued them on skewers with RI. Good luck!
I really like the kitchen aid attachment because it sits higher off the work surface. Also, because it is motorized it gives you 2 hands to feed and catch the fondant.
I was worried at first, it was just hot glue and dowels. The dowels were probably almost 1/2" in diameter, I didn't really look when I picked them out. I made sure to build the square and have the dowels underneath like legs. The cake was heavy too, in the back of the truck was a 7" x 7" x 4" chocolate cake, and obviously a lot of fondant.