Posts by southerncross

good call...I'll test it now
I have an order for a cake shaped like a cotton gin.    It will be covered with fondant.  I hope to use cotton candy for the cotton on the gin.   I envision having  cotton candy bolls in their bracts on the top front of the gin where they normally go in...and "clean" cotton balls at the end of the gin.     I have made the bracts for the cotton bolls from gumpaste so they are very very dry.   I know cotton candy doesn't have a long shelf life (I'm using packaged white...
I agree.   When I have cake tastings I always offer a sampling of standard buttercream (the confectioners sugar and vegetable shortening kind - what is sometimes called wedding cake frosting) as well as SMBC.   Without fail, every bride chooses the SMBC and are amazed at how light it is compared to the heavier traditional BC.  I'm in the very rural South and SMBC was generally unheard of ...everyone just relied on their maw maw's old fashioned kind.   I use Rose Levy's...
as I noted earlier, I use SPS system by Bakery Crafts exclusively and never ever had a problem. I love the idea of no center post.  However, I do wish the SPS posts were more attractive now that I have more brides going retro and wanting raised tiers.  I envy those charming doric columns that I used to buy when in London. I even tried to devise a method of slipping them over the SPS posts but to no avail.  I wrote to Bakery Crafts asking them to consider upping the...
I bought large silver round and square plateaus from Saveoncrafts.com . I'm always on the lookout for ceramic stands at HomeGoods and have amassed quite a collection.This year with the increase in rustic chic weddings (burlap and mason jars everywhere) I had a neighbor cut three rounds of cedar about 12" in diameter and in various heights (5" to 8" tall). On them I put 16" pine rounds bought from Lowes. I stained and varnished the rounds in walnut, cedar and pale gray. ...
LOL....I've been so desperate as to use paper clips to hold my baking strips together. And a friend of mine was driven to improvising strips by wrapping a strip of damp cotton cloth in tin foil and wrapping it around the cake pan. Boy, do we all love our baking stips!
I calculate my charge by the serving but the price list I give to my customers is by the cake tier. so if my basic buttercream covered 8" cake serves 24 and my price point per serving is $3.50 then the cost of that tier starts at $84. When the brides come for the tastings, I have all the dummy cakes listed with their respective prices and how many servings from that tier.
Do you use the strips on the sides of the pans? That seems to work for me.
I'm just finishing up the gum paste flower toppers for the next 5 cakes I have coming up. I've finished and coloured 5 hummingbirds and 2 rice paper butterflies as well. I hope to get started on the table coverings and backdrops as well. Let me comment however on the use of ganache under fondant. I use it exclusively under my fondant (I use Albert Uster...the slight increase in cost is offset by the great taste and ease of use). Many will tell you that you can only...
I've always observed the conventional wisdom of not refrigerating fondant covered cakes...until several of my brides insisted on freezing their top tiers and swearing that when they pulled them out of the freezer a year later the cake looked and tasted great! Keeping it well sealed in the refrigerator/freezer is the "secret". I am now a convert