Posts by cake-angel

If I had to choose I would say I like A the best. C is the next one I would go with. I tend to compare things to how they would look as fresh flowers since I have a background in greenhouse management and horticulture. I think you did a lovely job and your cake is going to be gorgeous with such nice flowers!
LOL - it took me too long to type my last post. Got interrupted to make breakfast for my daughter and all my good advice was already dispensed. LOL. Have fun making your flowers. I still love piping flowers. You are welcome for the link.
I agree - roses are pretty hard done with RI because they are so large. The smaller flowers like violets, drop flowers, apple blossoms, primroses etc. are easier to work with when done in Royal - a bit sturdier and less prone to breaking during transfer. Also I find the small flowers just kind of melt in your mouth so there is no need to break a tooth. I know many people who fight over eating the Royal icing flowers because they love them. LOL. You can also flavor RI...
Sorry - couldn't find any videos but I did find this blog that has good step by step instructions. http://cakestylist.wordpress.com/2008/05/27/royal-icing-flowers/
Gumpaste is like fondant but can be rolled thinner, dries harder and faster and can hold delicate shapes like ruffling and flower vein impressions. I love working with it but I also LOVE piping royal icing and I would have to agree that if I were to choose buttercream or royal for flower piping - I would go royal all the way. Gorgeous icing to pipe with. I know I can direct you to the text directions for those flowers if you would like but I am not sure about videos. I...
Royal icing is still used to make flowers. It really just depends on what a person is looking for what medium you use to make flowers. Some people love to stick with buttercream because it stays soft. Royal is nice and basically is the same technique as piping buttercream but dries hard and leftover flowers can be kept for use on future cakes. Gumpate gives the ability to give more realistic mimics of flowers ----- so really which medium you use is up to you. Are...
In most cases yes - but I do have 2 or 3 scratch recipes that do not turn out well as cupcakes just due to their natures - Fabulous cakes though.
The important thing about this kneading technique is you want your kneading surface to be at a height that you can use your whole upper body to knead with and not rely on your arm strength alone. I personally have never tried the spiral technique as I was taught the ox head version. The spiral technique definately looks better for large quantity kneading. ( I mostly made coffe mugs and cereal bowls when I was doing it so I didn't need more than I could handle with the...
Here is a link to a you tube video that describes the technique using clay. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJjvB3Gznjo&feature=related
Hi Nicki! It doesn't really matter which way you knead it as long as the end result is a nice soft pliable fondant for rolling. You are correct that in kneading it the using the clay method that you greatly reduce the occurance of air bubbles. The main reason people do not knead this way is that most people have never been taught the ox-head kneading method used for clay. I have used the clay method for a long time. I learned pottery before I ever started cake...