Posts by schildwaster

Yes thank you that is exactly what I was asking. I know that game all too well with one person interpreting something totally different that someone else in the same department.
There is a store front that just became available in my town. I have previously passed one up because of timing issues. I can bake, I can decorate, I can do the books and be legal. I am working out of my home through the Dept. of Agriculture in NY. I have the business to expand. But I don't know anything about convection ovens and how much 70,000 BTU really is... I want to know what kind of setup you have to have for your convection ovens, do you have to have some...
i had a lady from mil church call for a big celebration they were having. she wanted a 2 layer sheet cake for 150. Big PIA factor so I charged her for 4 12x18 sheet cakes so $240 which comes out to $1.60 a serving. My mil said she said I was charging her like it was a wedding cake. My mil says well cake for 150 is cake for 150. Its not like she has cheap cake mix and wedding cake mix. Its the same amount of cake... She went to walmart and everyone was walking around...
I always ask what form of payment the customer will be using, that way I know if they say cash, I might have to give change. I had the change, just not on the front porch where he picked up the cake. It was only a few feet away on the dining room table, I was heading to the door with his cash in hand to get it. I just felt like the way that I said it implied that he should give me the dollar.
i know i answered my own question. i guess i was looking for I've done this too and it doesn't really reflect that badly.
i had a cupcake cake order today. The customers son came to pick it up and paid with cash. The total was $29. Well, when he handed me $30 I asked him, "Do you want me to go get you a dollar for your change?" I wish I had said I'll go get you a dollar so he would have said oh don't worry about it or yes please. Anyways, I feel like I made him GIVE me his dollar change. (i know a guy probably doesn't think twice about this) And to top it off, it was a last minute...
i love my corian. super easy to clean. i've oversprayed my airbrush i don't know how many times and it always wipes up great. i roll out my fondant and sometimes i don't even need to use powdered sugar.
I started in May but pretty much took the summer off. Now I get a few orders a week which is perfect for me. I have a one year old and a 3 year old. I joined a local business womens group and I have gotten a number of orders from there. I've done a ton of chinese auctions. I'm advertising next week for Christmas cookie platters in the local paper. I'm not looking for it to pick up until next year when my 3 year old is in kindergarten.
If you are doing the cake for practice then go for it. it will take you more time than 80 will pay for and half will go to supplies. I would make her only choose 2 flavors chocolate and vanilla with one filling for each cake. It made it sound like she wanted 1- 10" round of one flavor/filling another cake flavor, filling and then the first cake layer. Repeat with top layer? If you are covering your costs and you want to make this cake, do it. Don't let price stop you...
can i see a picture of your fat boy?