Posts by babycakeslondon

any packaging ideas of any kind?
Has anyone ever tried to box up a giant cupcake? I just made a giant cupcake the other day as a trial run and it ended up being approx. 7"w x 6"h. Then I thought.... how am I going to box these for customers? Is there a box out there that is high enough for a cake that is at least 6" high (minimum)?What have you used in the past to package a giant cupcake? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated
I eventually ended up buying paramount crystals online from the states (paid an arm and a leg for shipping). It helped a little, but not much. The final conclusion was that my chocolate was just no good; it was too old. Even though I had just bought it, it did have the white "bloom" on it. All of the Wilton chocolate I had bought was like that (and it was purchased at 2 different stores). So now I will never buy Wilton candy melts ever again and I stick to the chocolate...
I use buttercream to attach fondant to cookies. I spread a very thin layer of the buttercream on the cookie then place the fondant on top. It's worked great every time!If you want to make your cookies further in advance, you can always freeze them. I've made fondant covered sugar cookies with royal icing details, wrapped them individually in cellophane bags, then put them in the freezer. I had them in there for just over a week. The following day when I tried them,...
I just did a trial run for freezing fondant covered cookies and it worked great! I decorate most of my cookies with a fondant base then do the details in RI. After the cookie had dried, I wrapped it in cello and froze it for just over a week. I let it thaw overnight and the next day it looked and tasted great!
I've actually tried using both vegetable oil and shortening but I had to add so much of it that it was almost 50% oil. It tasted horrible and it still wasn't runny believe it or not! I thought maybe my chocolate was just too old and that's why I couldn't get it fluid enough. But I had just bought a few new bags of chocolate and it was doing the same thing. I suppose it could be old as well; who knows how long it was sitting on the shelf before I bought it!I've heard...
Paramount crystals are used to thin chocolate or candy melts. They look like thin pieces of broken up wax (I believe it is actually shortening). I've had alot of difficulty getting my chocolate fluid enough for dipping when I make cake pops.
Does anyone know where I can buy paramount crystals in Canada? I am from Ontario and I can't seem to find them anywhere. Golda's Kitchen in Toronto is always my favourite place for everything baking, but even they don't carry it. I've even tried looking for websites for Canadian baking supply companies and still no luck. If I were to order them from a US website, I'd pay more for the shipping then I would for the actual product! Has anyone here in Canada ever...
I think it may also depend on how long you plan to freeze them for. I've tried freezing cookies with royal icing and it didn't work so well for me. I had them frozen for about 3 weeks and when I thawed them out, the icing was rock hard (the cookie itself was just fine though).