Posts by SweetDreams_DK

I was lucky enough to study with Chef Jane Gibson at the Art Institute of Seattle, and I can tell you that her buttermilk chocolate cake is fabulous. It is my go to chocolate cake! The version I have of the recipe is by weight though. I'd need to scale it down to know if the recipe listed here matches, but it looks close.   As for the chocolate creme, it's really a ganache made with creme anglais rather than straight cream. Just be sure to let it set up long enough...
I'm guessing it's closer to this one: (Hostess cupcake filling)   4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature 1 cup powdered sugar 1 tsp. pure vanilla exrtact 3 Tbsp. heavy cream 1 cup marshmallow creme
Rats. Maybe a purple would be better? Or, you could just get some Wilton's gel Fuschia color and mix it into white melts.
Fuschia is actually a mixture of red and purple (which means just adding a touch of blue). Try just dipping a toothpick into some blue gel paste and mixing it in little by little to see how that works.
I haven't used a mix is forever, so can't really comment on the flavor of them these days, but I agree with the last post about using some almond with vanilla. I use about 3/4 vanilla and 1/4 almond, just for depth of flavor.Also, I tend to use the cake as more of a backdrop to the fillings, so I generally don't want them to be too prominent. The last wedding cake I did was three layers of white cake with a layer of lemon curd buttercream and a layer of raspberry...
I always make my own. If you have a pressure cooker, that's the easiest. Just tear the label off a can of sweetened condensed milk, put it in the pressure cooker and add water to cover the top of the can. Cook under pressure for about 45 minutes.If you don't have one, just google "making dulce de leche" and you'll see methods for cooking it in a double boiler, or baking it in the oven.I don't see any reason that you can't use it for filling a cake that will sit out. The...
Is there a friend or family member that can help with you giving instructions? Maybe if they can get the bulk of what you need done immediately take are of, then you can finish up when you've rested.
I've been doing an orange dulce de leche that is really good. Just mix some dulce de leche and orange zest into buttercream until you get the flavor you want. If it's easier, you could just use caramel sauce instead of dulce de leche too.Or maybe coconut almond? (Use some coconut cream and almond extract in buttercream.) Or a simple white chocolate buttercream? Peanut butter? Cream Cheese? Spiced buttercream?White cake is sort of a blank slate. Just try to think of what...
Not sure what you're reading. I didn't see anything disrespectful in these posts. Just sharing opinions, which is what makes the world go round!Please try to be a little more light-hearted about it. In the end, each of us has to sort through the opinions and form our own.
I'm with AnnieCahill. By it's very nature, "crusting buttercream" can't be silky-smooth. I grew up eating it like every other American, but that doesn't mean I think it's good. It crusts over for goodnessake. Ick! (In my less than humble opinion )