Posts by Renoir

Charmed, that is good information to know. I think I'll pass on the Sculpy just based on that. Thanks!Geseka, cool link. I wish I could see it being done to know if any detail is preserved. To me, logically, the candy would move the corn starch when it was poured in, but maybe not.Anyone, if I pour the boiled sugar out on a slab and keep it warm, can I just cut pieces off and form it by hand or with modeling tools?
I appreciate that, but I probably find just as much on how it's probably fine to use as I do that it shouldn't be used. This is just one example, of course the source may be biased, but there were many other similar results in my search too:http://www.polymerclaycentral.com/cyclopedia/pc_safety_th.htmlMy original question came from the perspective as to whether it was technically possible to do, not whether I should.
If so, how to do it and how long will it last?
Good site, but I have to do this in the next day. I'll give the Sculpy a try both ways and see what happens.
I phrased that poorly about the lamp. What watt bulb needs to be used? I know from experience that there are different bulbs. Or is there a specific "art" lamp that is used? Also, the sugar must still be hot when I want to create my pieces; are there special gloves to wear?
Once the sugar is on the slab, I assume it is very hot. What do I wear to handle the mixture? Also, how hot of a lamp needs to be used to keep the main glob pliable while I work with pieces of it?
I searched here but did not find anything yet. I want to make a few molds to be used with poured sugar. I know I can use silicone, which I've never done before, but thought this idea would work. I have some polymer clay (Sculpy) and thought I could just make my impression in that, harden it in the oven, cool it, spray it with Pam, then pour into that. I would think the Pam would allow for release without the mold having to be flexible. Any thoughts?Just had another...
Ok, I used to be a purist and would have to have everything from the cake board up be edible. Other than supports. I found myself recently using a wooden dowel inside the 4" heel of a gum paste shoe. I didn't like it, but it seemed the only reasonable way to have the support. Now I'm thinking that I might print out on heavy paper some labels and bar codes, etc. This seems wrong to me for some reason. Where do others draw the line? Was using a wooden dowel in the heel ok?...
That's a great idea. Much easier to trim at the bottom too.I think I know what you mean on the corners; use two smoothers at the same time and work them next to one another to get an edge.This cake won't be completed until next week, but I'll let you know how it goes. I'm just the retentive type and have to know how to do everything beforehand.
Sent you PM regarding your image.