Posts by hrnewbie

I call myself a caker.  I also tell people that I cake.  They're not real words but they feel good to me.  I'm not a baker, because for decades I said I was a baker, i.e. someone who likes to bake, albeit unprofessionally but with sincere passion, lots of different things that you'd find at your local bakery (cookies, cakes, pastries, breads, etc.).  Then I found cake art and it transformed my life and I've gone from baking lots of different things to a narrow focus on...
So my brother's getting married and I'm in charge of the cake. I've never transported a cake such a long way and I'm a bit nervous. He lives about 9 hours away. I have the fortune of using a commercial kitchen when I get there to ice, assemble, and decorate the 4 tier cake. So I have frozen the individual cakes to take on the drive with me tomorrow. This is stupid but can I just put them in a big Tupperware box and will they be okay? I worry about stacking them on top...
I'm doing my first cake with square tiers and had planned on doing 12", 10", 8", and 6" tiers. But someone told me the other day that they'd recommend doing 4" differences between tiers. Is there a standard for square tier sizing? The cake is king to be iced in SMBC and have a black ribbon. No flowers, etc. on the tiers. Thanks for your help.
Today as I was leaving work I got a call from someone telling me that the company is planning an event next week and they were wondering if I could make cupcakes. 600 cupcakes. With custom fondant toppers shaped like aliens, space ships, planets, etc. In less than a week. While working FT. So they'd talked to the company that runs our cafeterias and weren't happy with what they were going to get for the money and someone had suggested they call me. Completely honored...
Hmmm, I saw that one but the groom is in the chair and not the bride. It says ou can customize his hair, etc. but no option to swap places. Perhaps I'll give them a call and see if that an option they just failed to highlight. Fingers crossed!
My brother is getting married this fall and my future SIL is in a wheelchair. They're having a heck of a time finding a cake topper with a bride in a wheelchair. I've tried searching too and found a few with grooms in a wheelchair but very few with a bride. Has anyone had any luck with finding a similar cake topper before?
I love to wrap my cupcakes in decorative liners but I keep having the same problem: you can still see the wrappers. I see all of these beautiful cupcakes online where you can't see the wrappers at all but mine never look that clean. I've tried putting on more icing, putting icing further out to the edge, and also cutting the wrappers taller but none of that seems to have fixed my problem. As an example, here's a link to one of the ones that I did: ...
Thanks all for your help and advice. And for listening to me vent. I'm a pretty giving person by nature and 99.99999% of the time people are appreciative. It's just this .000001% that stinks.To those of you that recommended getting involved with a nonprofit for practice, I'm all over that. Birthday Wishes is a great nonprofit org based in MA that throws birthay parties for kids in shelters throughout New England. Our company is a huge sponsor and I've recently started...
A co-worker gave my number to a friend who is looking for a cake for her son's first birthday. I've talked to this person several times this week about what she's looking for and we settled on a nice 2 tier cake that will easily serve 30, which is fine because she was looking for 2 flavors to serve 20. I even sent over a few sketches so she can see what I'm thinking.Then she asks about $ and I remind her that I do this for free and don't take money because I'm not...
The cake is a hot mess.But what's up with Princess Charlene? She looks miserable in every picture. She's smiling alright, but it's forced and she looks like she can't wait to get the F$%^ away from him. What do you think will last longer...the cake or the marriage? Yikes.