Posts by craigas

I have found a kitchen to rent out to do my baking and the health inspector is coming to check it out on Friday. I have heard that he is extremely anal and does everything by the book. I know that he is going to ask me how I will keep my cakes refrigerated during deliveries, what is the best way for me to do that? I sure don't have access to a refrigerated vehicle and I don't think many cakes would fit into coolers. I appreciate any help. Thanks!
I actually live in Canada but you're right the cost does seem really high. I am going to have to search out some good bulk prices. I am already buying at discount stores but I should be able to get the cost down.
I do make cakes as well, usually party cakes and I haven't done more than a couple wedding cakes so far. I can definitely do dozens of cupcakes at a time and most people stick to just a few flavours of the cake portion anyway (chocolate, vanilla etc). I can also premake the buttercream in large batches and freeze into smaller portions. I am starting to get onto the right track? I appreciate your help.
So what do I do?
I am hoping to have at least 120-150 orders my first year but not all would be cupcakes as I do cakes as well. I will be paying $10 an hour to rent a kitchen and to make, bake and decorate a dozen cupcakes it would probably take me 1.5 hours. That being said I should be able to multitask some what and make enough cupcakes and icing for multiple orders at a time for very little added time above the 1.5 hours. Does that make any sense how I explained it?I am also...
The box and cupcake insert come to $2.25. There is only one cake supply shop and it is about an hour away from me. I could buy larger quantities for all of my supplies but since I am just starting it is difficult for me to be out of pocket so much money. I also thought of ordering online but I don't think it would be any cheaper with shipping charges.I think that you are right though and I should be buying in bulk more. It is more out of pocket to start but will save...
It looks like the Mac version is getting horrible reviews, has anyone used it?
$15 does not include my labour or overhead. Competitors in my area charge an average of $2.25-$2.75 each for a similar product.I'm not sure what to do as I am just starting my business and I don't want it to fail already! I think I need to find a way to lower my expenses as I know I will not be able to get much more than $30 a dozen in my area.
If a dozen cupcakes with buttercream cost me $15 to make including the box, what do you think I should charge for them. Right now I am charging $28. All input is appreciated!
Thanks, I wonder if I can get it for my Mac...