Posts by lesgateaux

yeah I don't know why I let him push me into it! I guess I was just caught off guard or something and felt stupid. This was something I struggled with when I first started out, but it's been years and I know better at this point.  He kept saying "I'm just trying to help you out and give you business." Which is obviously not the case because I have a very successful business of people that are willing to pay for quality work. Ugh, lesson learned. I won't cancel,...
I have a friend (I use that term loosely) from my old job who recently ordered a cake for his wife's birthday. He wants a 1/2 sheet cake... When I priced it, he acted like I was crazy because he could get one for $20 at the store... acted like he was doing me some huge favor by giving me his business. I very rarely do sheet cakes (unless they're accompanying a wedding cake basically) so I don't know a ton about how to price them. He asked for it to be $30 (apparently we...
I'm making a cake similar to this for a mechanical engineer: http://technabob.com/blog/2009/10/10/steampunk-wedding-cake/and just needed some opinions. I'm only making it 3 tiers of actual cake... so for the inbetween pieces would it be best to get a structure that allows space or maybe just put styrofoam in between layers because they can hold the support? Also, I'm trying to figure out how to make the little doors that open... perhaps gumpaste on a vertical lollipop...
My bride wants a dummy cake as the bottom 2 tiers with a real 6 in on top for her & her husband to cut during the reception. I have never used dummy cakes so I'm kind of in the dark about them... Is there a preferred website in which to order them? Do I need to do anything before covering them in fondant? What do I do as far as a support system? Do they need dowels or anything or just sit on top of one another? Any input is helpful! TIA
I live in Pittsburgh-- the humidity tomorrow is supposed to be 71%. i usually use a 1/2 crisco, 1/2 butter recipe... but thought maybe crusting buttercream would be better since it's a little harder. perhaps i'll just use all fondant and make sure it's in a shady spot! thanks!
I have a cake to make for a corporation's work picnic, but it is outdoors. It isn't until evening, but the high is supposed to be 92. What would be the better option to avoid the cake melting? Fondant or buttercream with fondant accents? I'm nervous that the fondant will bubble, or if the latter, the accents will melt right off. Thoughts?TIA!
I'm making an 18th bday cake for a woman's granddaughter... She gave me free reign of whatever I wanted to do because she said she trusts my creativity. HOWEVER, she has since come up with multiple ideas that have all been lousy (you can this woman doesn't have a creative bone in her body). I've already told her that I didn't think the original idea she had was a good one because she wants fun and bright colors, but then basically asked me to use maroon, navy blue, and...
My client wants me to have her child's [sterilized] toys as the topper for her cake. I told her this wouldn't be a problem (especially since it will save me hours hand-making the characters!) However, when I received them today I began to panic as they don't have any holes in the bottoms of the feet where I assumed I could put skewers to attach, nor is there a little base as is the case with most figurines. Just flat feet-- enough that they can balance on the cake but not...
here's a SUPER helpful tutorial:http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/05/covering-cake-in-ganache.htmlhth
thanks for all the replies... i was just wondering what my options were, i had thought of using white chocolate but i also just wanted to know if there were any other things out there that could offer the same support that ganache does. i will probably just end up using white chocolate. thanks!