Posts by toni1218

Thanks for your responses! Has any one tried the madeira sponge cake? I took out a book from the library and that is the recipe they gave. Would the madeira be a bit drier than a pound or butter cake? I also read a book that gave a basic sheet cake recipe however she soaked each layer (even the cupcakes made with the same recipe) with a simple sugar syrup - don't think I want to do that! Thanks (extra emoticons from my 4 yr old.. .lol)
I have been researching to find some great recipes, however have become overwhelmed as to which types of cake to choose! Sponge, pound or regular cake?? I have tried Sylvia’s Yellow Cake, which was delicious, dense and moist. After reading a lot of posts it seems that a denser cake might be better for stacking, carving, etc. If that would be the case wouldn’t a pound cake be the better choice?I searched the pound cake recipes and found one that was posted that was a...
I am a newbie to baking... what does adding the whole egg as opposed to just the yolks do to the cake - what changes to the texture/taste? Thanks
Are you referring to her Yellow cake receipe that is posted?Thanks
Would you say a buttercream made with homemade DDL is perishable? I am making a caramel buttercream with the DDL. Thanks
Are you using a crusting buttercream?[/quote]Yes it is a crusting buttercream.
How long do you chill your cakes for? Is there such a thing as "overchilling" a cake?? What would be a good amount of time?Thanks
I was told the same thing by someone, not to fondant a really cold cake otherwise you will get a bubble under the fondant. Other posts I have read say to chill the cake and put the fondant on - not sure if they wait a bit, however they do mention that the icing is very firm so I am guessing that they don't let it coom to room temp. Isn't it hard to place the fondant or reposition fondant if the icing is coming up? This is my 2nd fondant cake and the first was a disaster...
[quote="ceshell"]I would definitely let the cake settle after filling and crumb coating or even doing final bc coat. I did a cake last night, after I put the final BC on I let it settle on the counter for several hours. Often I use perishable fillings so if sitting out isn't an option, I press down lightly on them. I think Leah S. uses a big heavy tile to do this part. Either way you want to make sure the cakes are settled, whether through time or by force .I get the...
I baked a "Coco Loco" receipe by Collete Peters.... so I put it on the counter from the freezer and let it thaw. First observation was that it was sticky... not wet like I expected it to be. Now I am asuming that the unthawing caused it to be sticky. It came out nice and dark! The cake was very moist and from what I understand the freezing process added to the moisture. The texture to me seemed like a brownie. It was very good and my friend at work enjoyed it very much....