Posts by Ellyane

Hi all,I tried making cake pops this week, but my candy melts were icky. I gave up on them and just used regular chocolate chips for this time, but I'd really like to know for the future - when I melted them they were very grainy, and they tasted sweet but still unpleasant... my husband tasted them and spit his into the trash!They did have what looked like chocolate bloom on them, but I didn't think much of that.Or have we been too spoiled by high end chocolate? I figure...
Thanks everyone.I didn't mean to start a debate about brands, I'm actually looking more for advice about which sizes to buy.I have a half sheet from ML, and I have 3 Wilton 9" rounds. Those are what I've been using for most of my cakes. The rest of my collection is a random assortment I've picked up here and there. I also have a pair of 9x13s, but the non-stick finish has started flaking off, so those need to go. I'd like to just avoid non-stick finishes for future...
Another thing I meant to ask - 2" or 3" deep?I can't decide!
What pans do you consider most essential? I don't yet have a cake business, but I am working up to that, mostly doing birthday cakes for friends. I bought a half-sheet pan from Magic Line recently and I am very happy with that. Now I am thinking of adding some good round/square pans to my supplies. I'd love some advice on where to start!
I am making a birthday cake for a friend's daughter. She is a sweet little girl who happens to be allergic to wheat, eggs, milk, soy, and nuts. Her mom is also uncertain about coconut, so we're staying away from that too.I have a few cake recipes to experiment with, but I need a frosting that will stand up under fondant, and preferably something I can pipe with.Also, does anyone know if SatinIce or other commercial fondants are allergen free? I know I could make my own...
http://www.jsward.com/cooking/conversion.shtmlI just found this chart online and thought I'd share.At the bottom it also has a Centigrade/Farenheit conversion.
Thanks everyone!I finished it up last night and covered it with fondant this morning. It will be sitting in the car until it's served, which here in MA means that it will be at or near refrigerator temps anyway. It has it's flaws, but for my first real effort with fondant, I'm pretty happy. Check it out here if you like: http://cakebliss.wordpress.com/2010/10/23/cat-tastrophe/
wow! thanks so much!I only wish I'd asked this question before I covered my cake in cream cheese frosting. sigh.It's going to a birthday party tomorrow, so I think I'll just get up early and cover it w/ the fondant shortly before it goes out the door. That way it shouldn't need to be in anyone's fridge for very long, if at all.I'm learning...
so if it's moisture that is the problem...just pondering here...could I put some paper towels or something around the cake to absorb potential condensation?
So I've been reading that fondant covered cakes shouldn't be refrigerated, but the cream cheese frosting I'm using under the fondant should be. So what should I do? refrigerate or no??