Posts by klhoward42

I am doing a baby bump cake for my SIL, should I crumb coat with ganache or buttercream? I want it to be super smooth but I don't want it to be hard to shape either?? Any advice?
I made one using fondant ! It was actually one of my first cakes with fondant! I put the fondant on the cake and then with a sculpting tool made the grooves and bark! The rings I used the alcohol/ color method and painted the rings! I used different circle cutters to make the original sizing marks!!  
Does anyone know how to sculpt cupcakes to look like this? I found these on someone's Facebook page and they clearly specify that these are cupcakes!! So how do you do it? I need the baseball for a cake and I don't want to make it out of RKT!! Thanks in advance for any help!!!
Yes my state has the Cottage food law, and it is very new. From the research I have done its hard to get approved, because most counties don't understand it and don't know about the new law. Most people I have heard from it takes up to $1000 to get all the ducks in a row! From surveys, to hearings and fees. Also, even if I were able to get those things in place. I know that there is not one customer that would pay $3 a serving for a cake, $85 for a 2 tiered cake, $50 for...
Also if we want to go deeper, how many people on here order from an online source other than their local supply store??? You are charging market value but  trying  to purchase your supplies as cheap as possible to make a profit. My point is its a messed up system and there are several ways to educate decorators and yesterday when I made the first comment, I was attacked for being an amateur and was told I am hurting professionals. I had no idea, never really thought...
So what is a person,  who likes to bake, suppose to do to start out, give away free cakes and then one day start charging the going rate in the area, never sell them to anyone before they make it where they feel they can charge the full price. Not all of us are as confident!! So back to my question how many people started out exactly where I am?? Nobody wants to admit for one moment that the majority of people who make it started out exactly where I am , so what is...
i am sorry we are going to have to agree to disagree. Every business market in the world has low end pricing and highend pricing. If you didn't "pick and choose" my quotes you would have read, I don't feel like my cakes are worth what other sell theirs for. Everyone has a right to choose how much they spend on a cake as well as how much to charge. I in nooooo way charge what I do to steal business and put you out of business. I can't spend the time you do on cakes so I...
I am a homeschooling mother of 2, who also helps run my husband's body shop business! I only make 2-3 cakes a month, mostly to family and friends. I know how much time and work it takes to run a small business and I dont have time. I use my cakes to make a little money and to give me a creative outlet! I don't have time to do anymore than what I am doing and the logistics behind a "business" isn't worth it for the little bit I do!
So my options are starting a business, which I am not able to do, or stop selling my cakes? I just don't believe that's realistic for tons of bakers on this site. I guess this thread won't apply to many decorators like me. But the initial thought of cakes with prices is a great idea for those who consider themselves professionals!!  Maybe one day I can get there but not right now! Thankfully these threads will be there one day when I need them!!!
When you told me I didn't need to charge for my cakes because I am only an amateur you made it personal! I didn't ask if I should charge for my cakes. I merely remarked that I don't think I should charge as much for my cakes! Your remarks implied my talent  didn't deserve any compensation and that was off topic!!!