Posts by ShaunPepe

I have never given one of my friends a free cake yet and I don't think i plan too. I have made cakes for a few friends who i know through my husband and I have charged them. Now "my" closer friends are just having kids so no one has asked me yet to make a birthday cake for them (still babies) but I am dreading the day. Because if I gave them a free cake, that would be replacing the $90-120 gift I would have given their kids? Hell NO!! I am in the habit of spending $15-$30...
Wow you took some of the words right out of my mouth. I love making cakes and the plan was to start out slow, have my kids and then years from now make my business fulltime once all the kids were in school. It's gotten alittle busy at times, but actually not too bad. I think the suggestion about raising you prices is a good one. Do many customers change their mind when they hear the price? Since I have set my prices last year (quite fair I think) I give out many quotes...
You have to be confident and stick with your pricing, otherwise your business will never work. I came up with my prices, looking at ingredients, time etc. and that is what I charge. It's true that you want to look at your competition, however if I priced my cakes as low as some of the other business' in the area I would be making next to nothing. That being said, I have had many people in the last few months ask for quotes and then tell me I am too expensive or out of...
I just wanted to add to the post. I'm a SAHM, who does cakes part time. My kids are 1 and almost 3. Years ago when I started talking about doing cakes for a living, my DH thought it was great. However, once kids came, then the late nights, he had to give up his free time to help, he quickly began to not see the benefit to me trying to fit in cakes right now. The thing that changed his mind was when I FINALLY started charging enough for me to make it work my time to make...
What it sounds like here and that the woman has taken one of these event planning courses that informed her she could ask vendors for discounts. She is just starting her business. I emailed the woman and informed her I could not give her a discount. I figured I wouldn't hear from her again, but then she emailed me and told me she still wanted to put me on her list and wasn't expecting a discount. However, some other vendors were offering discounts so she was curious to see...
Thanks for the info everyone. I had never heard of this practice and could not find any information on the topic over the internet (I guess because no one really does it). I'm happy to hear it is not common. Right away it did not stand out as anything I wanted to be part of and I could not see any benefit to me. I guess the planner has this idea that maybe by getting vendors to offer her discounts she can advertise to potential brides that she has these discounts that the...
I was asked by a start-up event planning business if I wanted to be put on their vendors list. She asked for my pricelist and said she was only going to have a couple of vendors in each category to offer to her brides. However, in the next email she told me I had to offer a discount to her brides (if I wanted to be on her list). In exchange she would give me a couple of coupons for her event planning services every year. I guess I will not be on her exclusive list of...
I am really hoping others on CC recognize some of the contestants. Even though the first season bothered me in the way it was created, I am still really excited to see this season because of people posting on CC. Congratulations to the contestants for making it!
This doesn't sound like a good idea to me. If you decide to do the cake, get paid only in money. I'm afraid this is not going to end well.