Posts by CakeEnvyKS

Thank you everyone!  It had never occurred to me to refrigerate the fondant once it's on the cake, that's like the kiss of death here!  It is warmer at my aunt's house than I keep my own home, but I think it's more like 78.     I gave up on the frozen cake idea and have arranged to use multiple ovens at neighboring homes to get everything baked quickly as soon as I arrive.  It's stressful for me and I probably won't get much sleep, but it seems to be the best thing to...
Thank you everyone!  I'm rethinking now how to keep them frozen - maybe large coolers with dry ice, vent it at every gas stop, and refresh the dry ice in Albuquerque.  It seems like baking on-site would be easier, but my aunt's oven is poor and I don't trust it, not to mention how much time that would take.  And I only have so many cake pans!     Another question as I seem to get differing answers - are sheet cakes (kitchen cakes) usually 1 or 2 layers?  I had planned to...
Unfortunately I have to pick up my mother in Dallas, so it's not really a choice.  Her health is poor and driving it straight through isn't really feasible for her.  So I'm stuck.  :(   I have an SUV and one of the wedding gifts is my grandmother's hope chest, so I planned to put the cake boxes inside the hope chest, so nothing can fall on the boxes.   Since there isn't any realistic way to keep the cakes frozen, is it a problem if they just stay at room...
I was just going to do uniced cake but you have a good point about retaining the moisture with a little buttercream. Technically it's 3 days of travel - Wichita to Dallas, Dallas to Albuquerque, then Albuquerque to Phoenix. They will certainly be thawed by the time I get there! I don't really have any way to keep 11 individual cakes frozen in the car for 3 days (three 1/4 sheets, four 6" rounds, two 8" rounds, two 10" rounds). I can re-freeze overnight in Dallas, but...
I'm making the cake for my cousin's wedding on November 2nd. It's in Phoenix, and I'm in Kansas. I've spent a lot of time working on the plan for this, and I'd love opinions from more experienced cake decorators. Have I missed anything? Is there anything I haven't considered? Do you have any advice? The bride chose a simple 3-tier fondant cake, with additional kitchen sheet cakes to feed 200 (total). My mother and I will be driving out there, so my plan is to bring...
Long story short - my family is very small, and this is the first wedding we've had in more than 30 years (since the groom's parents were married).  We've had a lot of deaths in the last few years including the groom's older sister a year ago, she was only 30.  Not only is this a big event for our family, it's the first positive thing that has happened in the last few years. so there's a lot of sentiment here.  Since they live so far away, I don't get to see this family...
My cousin got engaged and I'm doing their cake for their wedding gift.  The catch is they live in Phoenix and I'm in Kansas.  My plan right now is to get a really solid plan together (we haven't even talked about design yet), and maybe even make a practice cake, ship some materials/supplies in advance, then fly out a few days early and get it done at my aunt's house.  I'm sure there will be wedding chaos going on (though not as much at this person's house), people in and...
Normally I would, but it's a black bow and I happen to have black fondant on hand.  Trying to mix black always comes out terrible for me!
I got a last-minute cake order for a friend, and time and resources are both short!  I won't be able to get to the cake store or order something before the cake is due, so I need to work with what I've got.  I plan to make a fondant bow as a cake topper, so I need it to dry hard, or at least harder than usual.  I don't have any tylose powder but I do have a bag of CK's gumpaste mix.  What do you think - can I use this instead of tylose and have it dry hard enough for the...
Cross contamination is definitely the big issue here.  When possible, don't even bake the GF cakes on the same day you bake a regular cake.  Flour dust can hang in the air for several hours after you've used it, and even that is enough to make someone sick.  Use an entirely separate set of equipment.  If you can't do that, wash them really really really well.  As you're testing, have a brave GF person try them if you can, and be aware that symptoms don't usually show...