Posts by lmnissen

Ugh! I feel like an idiot. I was mixing all the dry ingredients for the WASC cake when I was distracted by a phone call. Now I have no idea if I already added the salt. I can't start all over because I only have one extra box of white cake mix. The recipe calls for 1 1/2 tsp salt, so I don't want to add it if its already in there. 3 tsp would just be too much. What would you do?
I'm desperately looking for a good cream filling that will pair well with a chocolate cake. I found a few, but they all use a non-dairy whipped cream that I absolutely despise. I would normally use a doctored vanilla pudding mix (Dr Oetker brand) but I can't find it locally anymore. I tried using two different vanilla pudding mixes but the results were not even close. I am so annoyed at not being able to find the mix. This cake is for Saturday and I've always found it in...
I'm not sure what is going on with my cakes. I have been using the durable cake for 3d in chocolate recipe for the past few years. It has been my go to chocolate cake because I have had many, many requests for it. Yesterday I made it and as I started mixing it, the batter was much thicker than it normally is. (And its usually very thick) I followed the recipe to the letter as I always do, but when it came out of the oven it just looked off. When I tried it the flavor was...
I have to make a cake for someone that absolutely loves the WASC cake that is on this site. She now wants me to make a cake that is as close in texture to this cake but wants a butter cake. I think I can do this, but I'm so unsure of the results. I'll substitute a yellow cake mix for the white, melted butter for the oil, whole eggs for the egg whites and butter flavor for the almond extract. Can anyone offer any opinions or advice? Can butter be substituted for oil? Will...
I apologize if this is answered somewhere on the boards, but I am having a very hard time with this site. I keep getting error messages and blank pages when I search. I need a bit of advice on making a ship for the top of a cake. I'm going to use a store bought pound cake because that is much easier to carve and it will need to sit out for several days while covered in fondant. My question lies in having it sit out for a while. I know the cake and the fondant will be fine,...
I'm making a cake for the world's worst client. I'm fairly certain no matter what I end up with, she won't like it. I gave her a small sample of the yellow cake everyone always loves and she hated it. She wants a yellow cake that is buttery, moist and not quite dense but not fluffy and airy. Thats pretty much how I would describe my yellow cake, but ok. I was wondering if I could get a few "go-to" yellow cake recipes. Maybe even a doctored cake mix recipe since I really...
The bride(who happens to be a good friend) changed her mind, a few days before the wedding, about the buttercream and now I need a new recipe. She told me she doesn't want the shortening based buttercreams they tried. They were too sweet, and greasy. The recipes they tried were Indydebi’s Crisco-Based Buttercream and Buttercream Dream, my usuals for cakes covered in fondant that need to sit out. Now I desperately need a recipe for a fondant covered cake that can sit out...
So I'm trying to cover the cake dummies and my fondant keeps cracking, especially at the edges. I'm using Duff's fondant which I have used before and never had this problem. I am using the same amount of conf. sugar on the mat that I always do, the cakes dummies are covered in shortening and I went over the edges so they are rounded. I'm getting very frustrated because I have 4 tiers and I already tried 3 times. Any suggestions.
So I'm making my friend's wedding cake and I'm a bit nervous. We decided on a display wedding cake so I can re-use it and a few WASC cakes with strawberry filling to be served. I have a few big questions.First, for the display cake I'm using a styrofoam dummy. I don't intend on re-using it so can I just add a thin layer of shortening directly to it and then fondant or should I use a shortening based buttercream? Do I need to use supports since I'm using the styrofoam?And...
The site is acting a bit flukey and it won't let me see more than the first page when I search. I'm looking for a chocolate butter cream recipe that was posted a few months ago. The only ingredients were butter, cocoa, conf sugar, vanilla and cream. I can't seem to get the proper amounts of each. Any help would be gladly appreciated. Thanks