Posts by SamHarrison

I did Jason-Lisa! Sorry! My head is not on quite straight at the mo I don't think!
Thanks ladies. I'm still a bit upset about it but she was really nice about it all. She's had my cake before at parties apparently but she loved it but hers was dry. I offered her 20% off her next order which she was pleased with. I've now got a real crisis of confidence at the moment though. I did a stall yesterday and sold out within an hour which was great but I'm now worrying that people will have eaten then when they got home and not liked them. I think I need a...
No this was her first cake from me :( Said she left it on the worktop covered with a bag (I assume previous to be ing cut) so it certainly shouldn't have gotten dry from that. The only thing I can come up with is that she was expecting a mud cake/devils food type heavy cake rather than a chocolate sponge?!  
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, i'm having a bit of a stress. Ok so i made a cake which was collected on the 10th. The customer has just messaged me saying they cut the cake on the 11th and 'most of it was quite dry' and she windered if she could have stored it wrong? I just don't know what to respond, i've never had a complaint about any cake and people always rave at me about how much they love my chocolate cake. My husband and i both tasted the offcuts from the cake...
Aww thanks. It's weird, I ALWAYS use the same vanilla recipe, but it seems to be giving me more problems now. I can't figure it out! I don't think I'm doing anything different. I often make it in 12 inch squares and normally it's fine. I use 3 inch high tins but still only bake in individual layers as I like a nice tall cake. Bluehue, I can't cook on any higher than 160 c as cakes get biscuity on the outside If I ever use a lower temp it's because I'm doing a bigger cake...
Brill, thank you, I shall invest in some strips. I think when the time comes I will go for a non-fan oven, it's so hard to get cakes perfect without them going too brown!
I have a fan oven so normally bake at 150-160. On the 3rd attempt with this cake i didn't line the bottom of the pan, just buttered and floured it and used a flower nail in the centre and it's come out much better, not 100% perfect but a few extra mins would have done it i think. I think i'll be investing in a few more flower nails! I'm using the alan silverwood multi tin for my square cakes and it's supposed to help bake evenly, doesn't seem to be doing the job very...
What am I doing wrong. All my bigger vanilla cakes are coming out raw, it seems no matter how long I cook or what I do, the centres and bottoms are always raw. I use the same recipe for cupcakes and small cakes, ie 8 inch etc and no problems. Checking cooking guides say for example a 10 inch square should be cooked for 40-45 mins, even baking mine (in individual layers!) for 75 mins, they're still raw. I don't want to bake for ages and have them end up dry. I'm so worked...
I have been asked to quote for a cake similar to the one I have attached but I have no idea how you you get the owl as smooth and perfect?! I'm thinking lots of maybe 6 inch cakes stacked and carved but surely it would be really difficult to cover in fondant?!
It does unfortunately! I never got ill until I had kids. I've managed to get a friend who runs a business to take the order for me. I'll be paying her and refunding any difference to the customer and am thinking about either giving them a voucher to use with me at a later date or maybe some cupcakes. I'm hoping they'll appreciate how bad I felt having to cancel.