Posts by FromScratchSF

May have been said before, but I got this one several times recently...   "Well, how do I know if you can make it if you don't have a picture of it"?   My answer has been, "well, I've never made a single cake in my portfolio before but they turned out pretty awesome and my clients loved them".  What is WRONG with people?  If you want to pick a cake out of a book go to Safeway or Costco!
There are products out there that are FDA approved, but it really doesn't mean much.  I use platinum dust and t has wonderful sheen (nothing like glitter) on parts of cake that can be eaten and it is FDA approved, but I'm no dummy, it's basically has glitter in it, only micro grinded.  But i's FDA approved which means someone at least tested it for safety.   There is a recipe on the home page for homemade disco dust, any thoughts on that?
You see it all over Pinterest because Pinterest is FULL of fake styled shoots.  That's the way wedding coordinators advertise - they call a florist, a cake maker, a dress ship, a tux shop, a linen shop etc, get a venue, set it up and and its a photo shoot, 100% completely fake.  They take the pictures and submit them to all the big wedding blogs and magazines and hope they get picked up.  It's the new way to get "published".  If you see a cake or dessert on Pinterest and...
Well now I feel like a dummy. LOL I had no idea what day it was. Good one, OP. lol
For posterity sake.
Cake Central is a place for us to come together for help - tips - support etc.  There isn't a person on here that is going to read your post and take your side that vodka killed all the little germies and that you should have sent that cake to be served anyway  - but how about we send this thread to the entire guest list and let them be the judge?  I mean, we don't know you, we don't know your little rodents, but maybe they do and are totally OK with all this.  Lets send...
When I saw this thread surface again I went, not this again!   You sorry, imma say it too - I can't believe you valued your $300 over the health and safety of the poor people that ate that cake.  You should have NEVER agreed to make it in the first place if you are so ignorant to food safety that you not only didn't have the common sense to throw the cake away and call Wal Mart for a replacement, but that you took a photo to post on a website that photos stay on FOREVER...
Wait, you afraid that cake from 2012 might still be on someone's counter? In that case yeah I probably wouldn't eat it either. Other then that, your post is wrong.
All I know is I am stupid excited for this book.
"Die cut" refers to the rice paper pattern around several of the cake tiers, not the flowers, and both are 100% Martha Stewart craft paper punches.  I've seen both punches billion times at Michaels, but don't feel like looking for the exact patterns for you - there are way to many patterns at this point!  The art deco trim on tier 1 is a punch like...