Posts by FromScratchSF

If it is Jason, as so many have been suspecting, this is showing his true colors because whoever is doing this is trying to give ALL of you viruses and ruin your computers.  I hope it isn't him - we didn't see eye to eye but I didn't think he was this vindictive and frankly THIS big of a jerk.
If I wanted a peanut cake I'd probably just do regular vanilla cake, do a layer of strawberry jam and make honey roasted peanut butter buttercream.  But that's just me.   It's so much easier to alter the flavor of your buttercream and fillings then it is to alter the flavor of your cake.  My blog gives you a LOT of options based on one basic cake formula, but when in doubt just make regular cake but alter the filling to get the same flavor profile.
Thank you!  Yes but ONLY use fresh ground PB.  That stuff in the jar like Jiff has so much sugar it can kill the chemistry of the cake.   Thanks again!
OK so obviously I'm the "expensive" wafer paper flower teacher but my class isn't till April and I'm teaching something totally different, so I'm glad you mentioned the 2 classes you are considering are this month.   Hey There Cupcake makes AMAZING cakes and they have been doing stuff with wafer paper for a LONG time.  I follow their work like a fangirl.  I can also say the production value of Craftsy blows MCS away so I wouldn't worry about the teacher "not being very...
Yay!  Thanks!  Which one?
I'll be teaching for Cake Central in Seattle April 13 & 14...   http://cakecentral.com/b/classes/instructor/jennifer-bratko
OK I will admit, I don't make cookies so my advice is strictly based on the books I've read and experience specific to cake, BUT, what kind of recipe and what kind of colors?  The recipe above calls for water - I never thin with water, ONLY fresh lemon juice if I need to thin but that doesn't happen very often.  The acid in lemon is essential to help strengthen the royal for what I use it for.  But I am careful not to make the mistake of making my royal it too stiff then...
 I don't normally work with meringue powder, only fresh egg whites and certainly no disrespect to Sweetopia, I know she has a huge blog following, very protective followers and I'm sure her and I shall cross paths someday, but I respectfully disagree with the advice that you "ruined it forever".  No such thing.  Royal hangs out in my bakery after being made for about a week.  And depending on how we want to use it depends on how we make it.  I'm about to share with you the...
I just got this email and although it does not apply to me, I thought I'd pass it on to my fellow CFL peeps in my state:   "Hello California Cottage Food Supporters! I just found out that the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) has decided to consider requests for additions to the list of allowed foods in two annual bundles and they have put out a call for suggestions for additions to the list of allowed foods under the California Homemade Food Act.   The...
I use a 16x16x18 box I buy for about 3 bucks from storage rental facilities.  This will perfectly hold a 4 tiered cake and my 4 tiered cakes are at least 24" tall.  With some modifications I basically assemble the box (except folding down the top flaps, I leave those sticking up and unbent so they are rigid), I use a cutting of the rubber stuff you put under your rugs on a hardwood floor in the box to keep the cake from sliding around (but only if the cake is on a board...