Posts by FromScratchSF

Nope!  Totally from RLB.
hello! The problem with using fresh berries is the taste is only as strong as the product you are working with. strawberries are just now finally coming into season in California, but they still are pretty flavorless. if you eat a fresh strawberry and you think wow that tasted mostly like water or has that weird sour a taste, putting it in a cake isn't going to make your cake taste any better.
Hello!  Just @ me and I'll pop over on any question :D   There was a typo that I just recently figured out - I kept thinking, "but it works fine for me!".  Yeah, I realized for the chocolate version I stated "2 TSP" hot water, it should be 2 OUNCES of water!  OOPS.  It should be a somewhat thick paste that easily blends into the eggs with no chunks.   Yes, it's fine under fondant.   How chocolate-y a cake gets really does depend on what chocolate you use, the ratio...
I concur with making basically a hot fudge sauce, I use a similar recipe that is 14 oz condensed milk, 6 oz couveture 72% bittersweet chocolate, 2 oz. coco rouge cocoa powder, a splash of vanilla, 2 oz butter.  The longer you cook it down the thicker it gets.  It's a basic hot fudge recipe but I altered it to make it very dark chocolate.  It's great for the top of a cake. because it's still gooey.  Typical ganache for me sets up too hard for a filling and my sauce is to...
My 2 cents - I don't mean to dismiss people that do have serious health problems, however... "gluten free" right now is a major health fad in some areas, and I live in a big one.  I don't have the statistics in front of me, but I think I remember reading that less then 1% of the US population has an actual health problem with gluten.  Meanwhile, all kinds of people want "gluten free" because they think it's better for them and/or will help them loose weight and I get a LOT...
I could see how running a knife around the sides of the pan would butcher the delicate cake in the pan, so stop doing that STAT!   Do you only prep your pans with butter and flour?  I haven't done that in years.     It sounds like you aren't prepping your pans enough.  I say in the recipe to get a pan spray that has silicone dioxide (read the ingredients) or a version thereof for your cakes to pop right out.     For the best sprays, look next to pancake mix, not next...
Hello, sorry you didn't like my recipe!   Yes, because of the high sugar content it browns on the top.  For me, this isn't a problem because the cake gets leveled and the top gets cut off so it doesn't matter, only the interior of the cake is what counts, and it is soft and tasty.  I have tried many scratch butter cake recipes and every one of them browns and crusts on the top.  I'm not saying all do because I haven't tried every recipe ever, but all the ones I have made...
 Pfft - I'm only an @ away :D
Oh hi!  yeah that's me! Yes, it calls for cake flour however every country has their version of what "cake flour" is - as long as what you use has the same protein content as US cake flour it should be fine.  It is in ounces though, I've been getting a bit of grief from my pals in other parts of the world but what can I say - I'm in the US, I only know what I know and it's not like I wrote this thing with the help of a publishing house and global testers, you know?...
 Yes.