Posts by FromScratchSF

I have been completely unsuccessful in my many attempts to make a purple cake.  I've tried many types of batter, heck I even bought box mix to try and make a proper purple, I've used powdered colors, gel colors etc and no matter what color the batter looked in the bowl, it always changed dramatically when baked and turned ugly.  So I agree - anytime I see anything purple in food I think "photoshopped!".  Of course I could always be wrong (It does happen quite a lot!) but...
I know this is getting slightly off topic, but this is why I am slowly growing to hate Pinterest because the photos that go viral on there are magazine photos or extremely popular full-time paid bloggers that's main job to make the food as pretty as possible no mater what or it's fake food manipulated to do what food will never do.  Like I said, I'm totally guilty every week of this when I make a dessert that I sell for a popular delivery service here where I live.  They...
Awe, come on, it's just cake, right :D   OK, here's the video in case you all want a laugh:   http://instagram.com/p/dpNoVGGxN2/   LOL   Pin  = 0 Cake = 1
Mince, and most couture cake shops, make tall tiers - 5".  The standard for wedding is 4" per Wilton serving chart - but every decorator on here will give you a different answer on how high their cakes are or should be.  
I'd say 1/4" on 1" layers.  I'm that anal with the layers of my cakes and making then look as perfect as possible when cut:       I use an agbay to cut my cake layers and I literally use a ruler after each layer of filling to make sure there is 1/4" filling of buttercream or 1/8" layer of something viscus like curd or jam because when finished I want my cake exactly 5" tall.  I then shave 1/8" off the sides of each cake and use a cake round as a guide to make sure...
Wow you are all being so kind!!!  Thank you so much!   These are hands-on classes.  Everything I believe is being provided, all you bring is a dummy covered in fondant and a few extra things (check class list for supplies).  I will demo my way of doing fondant on a dummy to shock, awe and show you how to do it my awesome way, but then we'll be getting straight to the how-to's of how to do these techniques and you do it on your dummy that already has fondant.  Both 1/2...
So as several of you may have noticed, I have been asked by Cake Central to be one of their new instructors at the Cake Central 10 year anniversary party in Seattle.  It's a HUGE honor - and also the 1st time I'll be teaching a large group of people.  I came up with some classes, and the all day class is one that is using 2 techniques that I feel are pretty new and one that I've completely invented that will blow your brains.  At any rate, please ignore the biggest photo...
Hello! when I originally wrote the recipe i had stated to bake at 325 because that's what I'm used to cooking at at work. Somewhere in the comments I responded to somebody to cook at 350 and I believed that solved the sinking in the middle problem. So yes bake at 350 and watch for exploding cake!
Come to my class in April and I'll teach you how to screen print it :) (Shameless, I know).
Man I really want to name drop but it's already uncool I'm criticizing a cake designer that could design me under the table and someone I hope I'll have the pleasure to meet on the teaching circuit, or I will at least one of these days taking one of her many world-wide classes she does.  Anyway, I need to get my business to step 4, and that means selling out and cutting a few corners here and there that so far I've refused to do. But seriously, I'd rather eat trace amounts...