Posts by HappyCake10609

I sketch my cakes on graph paper so it's easy to sketch them to scale.... I use colored pencils so I can "represent" what color would go where, but don't concern myself too much about the exact shade.    There was a great free training on CakeFu about sketching with Photoshop- I'm strongly considering buying the template and a sketching tablet because the results are beautiful! http://www.cakefu.com/masters-series/liz-marek-71/   I ask for color swatches, pictures,...
I do this...  I poke a little indent, where I will place the dragee, then I use gumglue to attach...  And using the tweezers is a HUGE help... they even make some that have a rubberized tip so you can grip the little dragees!
Thanks you Margaret, as well!  NH is New Hampshire, in the US.  Our requirements are a bit different... my state allows for home kitchens under a "Homestead License," which is regulated by the state health department.  There are several towns, like the one I just moved to and where this new facility is located, which are "self-inspecting" and the town health department regulates.  If I have under $10,000 in annual sales, I could bake from home and wouldn't even need to...
Jason, thank you SO much!  That is exactly what I needed!    I ended up talking to the Health Officer right at the end of his day... Turns out that since I sell directly to my customers, and not as a wholesaler to another business, then I only need to do the HACCP if I have a potentially hazardous product.  We went over the types of recipes I make and determined that I don't need to do this, unless I decide I want to offer those other products and/or the code changes...
I am a little overwhelmed right now, after trying to figure this out, so I'm having trouble wording my question.  Please bear with me!   I am in the process of applying for a license at a new commercial kitchen (it is closer and much more updated and better equipped than than the kitchen I currently operate out of).  The new kitchen is regulated by the town, whereas the other was regulated by the state health department.... so the process is a little different than...
It's been a while since I've seen any activity in the Peer Review Cake Club post!  I don't want it to be forgotten about, so I'm going to submit my latest cake for review (while closing my eyes & holding my breath...)    I really like the cake, but of course I focus on the flaws (after staring at it for hours while decorating)... and I can't rely on friends and family for constructive feedback because they just say every cake "is great".  But, I've been at this...
I remembered seeing this cake a while ago: http://cakecentral.com/g/i/1933602/a/1934602/made-this-as-a-show-cake-for-our-very-first-bridal-fair-booth-it-was-huge-hit-people-where-gathering-and-taking-pictures-all-weekend-what-do-you-think-br-br-br-wow-i-wasnt-expecting-all-the-comments-thank-you-soooo-much-to-everyone-for/ and thought it was so impressive!  In this cake they were champagne glasses to support the tiers, but there is a description of how it was done...
When I started scratch baking, I was a fan of Crumb Boss...  but all too many of the recipes were unreliable or just not to the standard I'm after.  I still think her Red Velvet and Carrot cakes are the best I've tried... but those are the only ones I use. I used to find the videos entertaining and inspiring but I stopped watching entirely when they started making a habit of being rude and/or insulting other bakers!  They even named names in one video but eventually...
Thank you, Jason, for the response... that is what I figured, but it helps to hear it from someone else.    I guess I'll just have to decide if their potential extra business is worth my potential disappointment if they got credit for one of my creations in a publication...
I haven't been on CC much since the new format (I don't like it!)... but now that I have a cake business-y question, I'm hoping I can get some advice from my fellow CCers!   I just recently agreed to start doing cakes for a popular catering/event planning company, they do not do their own cakes.  I had a friend start working there, and she got me a meeting.  I will be billing them directly,working with them and not directly with the couples- the caterer is my client. ...