Posts by rjcakes

Hello,    I am making a two tiered graduation cake with a small basketball on top (and a few on the board). My plan is to bake the dome shaped cakes in the small Wilton ball pan, frost, then cover with orange fondant. My question is on the lines on the basketball - I don't have a lot of fondant experience so I was wondering what I should make the lines out of - frosting? tint some fondant brown/black and lay on? use an edible marker? I've seen beautiful fondant...
I just made a 3 layer red velvet cake for my sisters birthday and used the McCormick bottle of red food coloring. The recipe calls for 6 tablespoons but I only had 3 so I added that then a drop of Americolor red and the cake stayed red for a couple of days - and I used a dutch process dark cocoa. I think my icing had a little salt in it also (not cream cheese) so that is very odd what happened to yours! Not much help but just wanted to say that I usually use that food...
Thank you!!!
Hello,   I need to accent a graduation cake with gold fondant (the school colors are green and gold). What would be the best way to do that? Would it make sense to start out with yellow or white? And what would I color it with or would I just use a dust on it? Sorry for all the questions - I've never accented a cake with gold! Thanks in advance! RJ
Hi,   My Kitchenaid is on a rolling cart and one time I accidentally hit the molding in the floor the wrong way and my mixer flew off the cart and hit the floor. The result was the bowl was dented so it wouldn't sit in the little groove in back. I was so mad at myself!! There was no place convenient for me to get it fixed so I called and got the box and shipped it back and they were great - came back good as new. For me, it was well worth the money! (and now I have a box...
Hello all,   I know there are charts out there for party cakes but they all seem to say something different! I need to make a graduation cake for approximately 40 people. It's going to have a half basketball on top - I think the sports ball pan is 6 inches and I was going to put that on top of a 2 layer 12" round. Do you think that will be enough servings? I was thinking I could make a 3 layer 12", that way the pieces could be a little thinner and we would get more...
I've made chocolates using the silicone molds - a couple of different kinds but mostly the flexible ones. Works great, I've just poured tempered chocolate in and let set up in the fridge and then popped out. The only thing I would watch out for is getting the fudge out of the molds. If the molds are intricate and/or deep, it can be tricky getting the pieces out and since fudge is not rock hard, it may smoosh a little. But if you have hearts, those should work fine. Best...
I made it using the big cupcake pan and it was enough so I think it makes a normal 2 layer 9" (1 1/2" per layer). Good luck!
FYI - Lorann oils has an awesome recipe for maple fudge on their website - I've made it tons of times - it's made with white chocolate. Good luck!
Not sure if this is an option but maybe you could try making the topper out of fondant or gumpaste and see if that comes out of the mold?