Posts by eava

That is definitely an American buttercream, a combination of butter, shortening and powdered sugar.  I like seriouscakes recipe, www.seriouscakes.com.  You don't need a crusting buttercream, but definitely an American buttercream.  If it is going to be outdoors, you'd want at least 1/3 of your fat to be hi-ratio shortening, like Alpine or Sweetex.    You could do that with Swiss Meringue Buttercream, but if it gets hot it will not be very stable.  
Yes, the level 3 and level 4 wilton classes are dedicated to sugar flowers.  The courses usually are one day a week for 4 weeks though.  Another alternative is www.craftsy.com.  You can purchase online classes for $20-40 and they are very good, taught by some of the best in the business, James Rosselle. Nocholas Lodge, etc.  Marina Sousa has an excellent class where she shows you how to construct the cake.  Sugar Flower Cake Shop charges $200 per class and their classes...
Most Michael's offer all of the Wilton courses and they are very inexpensive. The individual stores have their class schedules posted online through the main Michael's website. Also check our the website for Sugar Flower Cake Shop and NY Cake. They both offer classes. Any private lessons are going to run at least $200 an hour in NYC.
Check our Earlene's Cakes http://www.earlenescakes.com/Trees.htm I used her shotgun kit for my father's birthday cake and he and his hunting buddies could not get over then.
I am trying to make something that will mimic organza and I was wondering if I can take the mixture for gelatine butterflies add some luster dusts so it has the right sheen, let it dry in a thin sheet and then drape it, or will it be too brittle once dry?  Can it be softened with a hair dryer to make it more flexible so I can shape it?  I'm trying to get the effect of a train on a wedding dress.
Does anyone know of a product or technique that can be used to produce something sheer to replicate chiffon or organza?  I'm using sugarveil to make a bridal veil but I would love to replicate the dresses train on the cake, but I want the details on the cake to show through, like a dress with a chiffon overlay.  Any ideas?
I have to bring gumpaste flowers down to the Dominican Republic for my cousin's wedding cake. Does anyone have any suggested techniques for how to wrap them and package them? I am going to carry them on, I was hoping to put them in my carryon just because it has wheels and I know I can get it in the overhead bin. I don't think the package will be small enough to go under my seat, I have 18 pretty large flowers, 10 smaller roses and carnations, and about 6 dozen filler...
I have to bring gumpaste flowers down to the Dominican Republic for my cousin's wedding cake. Does anyone have any suggested techniques for how to wrap them and package them? I am going to carry them on, I was hoping to put them in my carryon just because it has wheels and I know I can get it in the overhead bin. I don't think the package will be small enough to go under my seat, I have 18 pretty large flowers, 10 smaller roses and carnations, and about 6 dozen filler...
I am making my first stacked cake for my daughter's birthday party and I'm trying to make sure I have enough time to get it done. I work full time so I have only a few hours after she goes to sleep to do everything. I was thinking of baking the cakes on Wednesday night, filling and frosting them on Thursday, chilling them overnight and covering them with fondant and decorating Friday night so I don't have to do anything the day of the party. I dont have the freezer...
I am making my first stacked cake for my daughter's birthday party and I'm trying to make sure I have enough time to get it done. I work full time so I have only a few hours after she goes to sleep to do everything. I was thinking of baking the cakes on Wednesday night, filling and frosting them on Thursday, chilling them overnight and covering them with fondant and decorating Friday night so I don't have to do anything the day of the party. I dont have the freezer...