Posts by littlestruedel

I usually level and torte then freeze my cakes. I fill and stack the layers when they are frozen and then crumb coat. Leave it to defrost and settle on the counter for a few hours and then into the fridge until I'm ready to do the final coat in buttercream or cover in fondant. I find it easier to get a smoother edge with IMBC when the cakes are cold because the icing sets up better. I've never had a problem with condensation or air bubbles from covering a cold cake.
I use the dough hook for breads and fondant, the paddle for doughs, batters and American buttercream, and I use the whisk for whipping, meringue's and IMBC, switching to the paddle when I add the butter.
I started baking all of my cakes at 325 with a couple of rose nails is the middle and they come out really level now.
When I do an icing sugar based frosting I use about a tsp of salt to cut a bit of the sweetness. The icing doesn't taste salty, just makes it less sweet. Personally I use an Italian Buttercream because I find it isn't too sweet at all, but you will get mixed reviews on whether it can sit out at all.
I think most people here will recommend the SPS system, but as it is hard for me to locate in Canada, and I don't have time to have it shipped from the states, I will be using bubble tea straws in my upcoming wedding cake. I have heard that the Wilton system isn't the best because the legs don't fit snugly into the seperator plates, but I don't have direct experience with it myself.
Apti, that's my general method too! I think 2 plus 2 is yellow, so I usually have to enlist the help of my genius husband when figuring these things out!
Okay, so if I use Metria's calculator, Iget a total of 63 cubic inches for a 14" round. Divide that by 14.44 (volume of 1 cup frosting), and I get roughly 4.5, times 3 layers of frosting, I should need 13.5 cups just to fill the cake.Good thing I did this, because I think I'm going to need more filling then I had originally thought.Thank you all so much for your help!!!
MCurry - I torte each layer, so I have 4 layers of cake, 3 of filling.Sillywabbitz, I believe for my 9" rounds I use a cup of filling between each layer, so 3 cups total. So I guess, if I were any good at math, I could figure out the area of a 9" round, divide it by 1 cup and then I would know how much frosting it takes to cover 1 square inch, and then do the math for the rest of my cake sizes? It would be much easier with square cakes!
I know Wilton has a list of how much batter to use for each sized cake, and how much icing to cover the cake, but I am looking for a list of how much filling I need to fill each sized cake. I need to fill a 14" and 6" with one type of filling and a 10" with another type of filling, each about 1/4 deep. Does anyone know if there is a list? Or could share their information?Thank you!
According to my pastry instructor, Italian Buttercream is more stable then Swiss Buttercream because of the way in which it is made. I personally don't like American buttercream (I find it overly sweet), so I primarily use Italian buttercream. Now that I make it so often, I don't find it that difficult or time consuming.