Posts by littlestruedel

No ideas? I'm going to try with a new batch of egg white tomorrow and see if it works better...
I have been making at least one batch of IMBC every week for the past 9 months, and all of sudden in the past few days I am having problems with it! I foam my egg whites, bring the sugar up to 125 C and slowly add the sugar to the egg whites. In the past, the meringue has not deflated at all, I just crank it up and whip to firm peaks. The past few batches I have made, after adding the sugar, the meringue turns completely liquid and it takes forever to whip it to peaks, and...
I would just use some more royal icing in this case. You could also use melted chocolate, or if you are covering the entire thing in fondant I would use piping gel.
Thanks Susan, I PM'ed you!
Momsgoodies, I'll copy and paste the recipe here for you:Basil ButtercreamThis is an Italian Meringue Buttercream, adapted from post-gazette.com. 4 egg whites at room temperature (you can use reconstituted dried egg whites or meringue powder also) 1/4 t cream of tartar 3 T superfine sugar 1 recipe Basil Simple Syrup (below) 100g (1/2 cup) granulated sugar 1/4 cup (60g) water 2 1/2 sticks (285g) butter at room temperature, cut into 1 tablespoon piecesIn...
I posted the link in the post above!
I used Elise Strauss white cake from Confetti Cakes adding 1TBSP lemon juice and the zest of one lemon.For the Basil Buttercream, I used the simple syrup and buttercream recipe from this site, but I altered the buttercream recipe to match the recipe I use for IMBC (I should have written down the exact measurements, sorry!)http://www.scrumptiousphotography.com/2008/09/lemon-blueberry-basil-cupcakes.htmlI think the most important step for me was making another batch of the...
I just did a lemon basil cake for my Daughter's birthday last week! I did a lemon cake, and then added basil infused simple syrup when making my IMBC. It wasn't really basilly enough, so I brushed the cake with some more basil simple syrup and it was fantastic! Definitely a make again recipe!
My Pastry instructor told us in class that you could substitue any liquid for the liquid listed in a recipe unless that liquid is buttermilk. So if a recipe calls for milk, you could replace it with fruit juice, coffee, fruit puree etc. But in my head, I keep thinking that if you take milk out of a recipe and replace it with something like juice, you are altering the fat in the recipe and this wouldn't work well. Does anyone have an opinion on that? I would like to replace...
I had a similar problem with MFF one time and I think I added too much powdered sugar when I made it. No amount of shortening or glycerin would make that stuff knead nicely and not rip. To answer your question about what to use when rolling out, I use a 50/50 mix of powdered sugar and corn starch. Too much corn starch can dry out the fondant, and too much PS can make it sticky in my climate, so I find the 50/50 mix works really well and was recommended by my pastry chef.