Posts by littlestruedel

Thanks for recipe BakingIrene!
FromScratch, do you have a recipe for his gumpaste? I have Linda McClure's recipe that works great in my Silhouette, but I don't love it for flowers.
I really hate Wilton gumpaste for flowers. Satin Ice is so much nicer to work with!
I was also told that you need to use a natural hair brush, the dusts won't work very well with nylon brushes.
Our cartons don't actually say that up here, but I have heard this as well. I've been using them for about 9 months with no problems though. I know that I did shake this batch well, because I've made that mistake before, and no amount of whipping was going to get those eggs whites to beat up!I have a lot of buttercream to make over the next few weeks, so I'm going to be running some good science experiments in my kitchen! The good news is that even if the meringue flops, I...
Success!!! So I got new batteries for my thermometre and sure enough the other one was out about 7 degrees, gee that's helps!! However, after thinking this was my problem, the meringue still flopped!!So I got my husband to pick up another carton of eggwhites and this one worked like a dream! So now I need to figure out if it was just a bad batch of eggwhites, or if it was because I froze them and defrosted them. I'm leaning towards a bad batch because I'm sure I've frozen...
I did a 10" square yesterday, and as it was totally cool, and a firmer cake, I didn't need to use a cake board, but usually that is what I do. Anything over a 10" round I usually use a cake board just to be on the safe side.
The American standard for cake height is 4". I bake in 2 inch pans and my cakes usually come out 1.5" tall. I then torte each layer into 3/4" layers and use about .25" of filling between each layer. By the time I fill, crumbcoat and cover in fondant, my cakes always end up just a hair over 4". I find with baking in 3" pans that my cakes always end up higher, but I just have to take that all off when I level them anyways, unless I am specifically trying to get a cake that...
I have HC and I love it, her Vanilla butter cupcakes are my go-to cupcake recipe and I really enjoy her chocolate layer cake recipe as well. Does anyone know if there is a chart of modifications needed doubling or tripling her recipies? I have had some trouble with making her chocolate layer cake recipe to bake in a 10" square or 12" round and I'm not sure if I need to adjust the leavening. Or is this something that owning the CB would help me with?
Scp, you might be right on the mark. The second batch I did took a long time to come up to temperature (I use a heat gun instead of a candy thermometre), so there is a chance it was hotter then it should have been. However, after I was concerned about that I checked it on a pot of boiling water and it's readout was 100c, so bang on what it should be. I'll pick up batteries for my other trusty thermometre today and test that out when I make todays batch. lorieleann: Fat was...