Posts by littlestruedel

Hello all, I have a wedding cake coming up in the next few weeks and the bride would like a cake similar to the one in the link. http://indulgy.com/post/W414rliOE1/pink-flower-wedding-cakeIt looks similar to the cascading rose cake, but I just can't decide what flower to start with! Thanks for your help!
You might also try adding pudding mix and reducing a bit of the water for a more dense cake.
For standard size cuppies I really like the under the bed boxes, I think I got about 65 each in mine? For mini's, I have a bunch of lids from the paper boxes that I have hot glued 1oz plastic shot glasses in (the kind you make jello shooters in!) and they are the perfect size to safely carry mini's. I can get at least 50 in one of the lids.
It depends on how you are icing them, a 1M swirl will take more buttercream then the rose style, etc. But I usually count on it taking 4TBSP buttercream per standard size cupcake, 2TBSP for a mini cupcake. Multiply those numbers by how many cupcakes you are doing and you have the amount of buttercream you need.
I use the upside down icing method, and do my final smoothing with a hot bench scraper (I use boiling water to get it hot). Perfectly smooth icing, and perfectly sharp sides and edges!
I think your main problem was letting it cool in the pan overnight. When the cake completely cools, the agent that you used to keep it from sticking dries and no longer lets the cake release. If you've let it cool to long, you can gently heat the bottom of the cake pan on the stove top for a minute and then it will release easily.
I've transported a number of them and what I usually do is take a 10 or 12" cake box and fully assemble it, including taping the lid down. I then cut a circle in the centre of the box approximately 1" smaller then the opening at the top of the vessel the cupcakes are in (so if I am using 6" pots, I cut a 5" circle). When you place the pot in the box, it will be held securely upright even if the bottom of the pot doesn't touch the bottom of the box. It's definitely sturdier...
Thank you I will try that! And yes I agree on the salt, I always use salted butter and don't add any additional salt to the batter.
Anybody have any insight? Thanks!
Even if a recipe tells me how many cups it yields, I always do a test run because I don't feel that my clients should be the guiney pigs. I want to taste the cake before I even contemplate selling it. I make up the batter, weigh the entire batch, and then weigh one cup. I keep a spreadsheet with what each of my recipies yield so that I know how many batches I need to make for each pan size. Much less waste this way, and it alleviates last minute trips to the grocery store....