Posts by HeatherMari

Some bakeries use premade icing. I know one I used to work for used Rich's Bettercream (like a whipped cream icing) and the Dawn brand icing in buckets.
Hello All!! My husband has a possible job prospect in Charlotte, NC and, just thinking ahead, I was wondering if anyone from that area would have any advice or suggestions for cake decorating jobs in the area. We are currently in Michigan and I will obviously have to find a job there if we end up moving and I love cake decorating. I have been doing it for almost 6 years and am currently working in a bakery part time. Anyone here have their own shop that could use some...
I second the suggestion for using coffee creamer to flavor a white cake. It's awesome! I use 1/4 cup of vanilla caramel liquid creamer in place of some of the water in a white cake and it is so yummy! Some of the less intense flavors like hazelnut I would use the creamer in place of all the liquid otherwise you can't really taste it.You can flavor any premade fondant with flavoring oils or extracts it just takes a lot of kneading and you do have to add powdered sugar to...
Okay, first off, that is such a cute cake! I love Sugar Creations cakes! She is awesome! I would think, IMHO, that those cakes are taller than 4". They do look all the same height but taller than 4". Since the bottom is tapered and it looks like the top is slightly topsy turvy, I would say they are at least 6" tiers. I always make my tapered and topsy cakes taller because otherwise they can look kind of squat. I would email Sugar Creations and ask her how tall they were. I...
Thanks, ironbaker! Yes, that is Denny (Jeffrey Dean Morgan)! He is my new favorite hunk! I fell in love with him on Grey's and recently saw him in "P.S. I Love You" which was an awesome movie and now I like him even more! Plus, he is really easy on the eyes...lol!
Thank you!
I have decided recently to move on from box cake mixes to making my cakes from scratch. I have found fabulous vanilla, chocolate, cherry chip, banana, and lemon recipes but have yet to find a carrot cake recipe that will actually BAKE! Every time I try to make a scratch carrot cake the edges and top get overbaked and chewy and the middle is raw. Also, it never rises, always sinks in the center. HELP!! I really want to be able to make all my cakes from scratch. So, anyone...
I took the marzipan veggies garden cake class from her (the cake from Martha Stewarts mag). I am pretty sure it was before she was on any of the cake challenges, but she was really nice and helpful. She went around and watched people as they worked and gave them advice and encouragement! She is very personable and I even got to show her my portfolio which was cool! I would highly recommend taking a class from her. I might even have to head down and take the gumpaste rose...
Hi! Another way you could present it to give her another option would be a 6", 8", 10", 12" that would feed the same as what you are suggesting (keeping the 6" for the 1st anniversary). That way if she wants a 3 tier or 4 tier, your covered! HTH, HeatherMari
How about a sewing basket filled with cross stitch cloth, skeins of floss (cross stitch thread), needles in a pin cushion (I have one that I have used that looks like a strawberry), a partially finished cross stitch piece in a hoop. There is really a lot you could do with it!HTH,HeatherMari