Posts by TheSugarArtist

The gauge wire depends on how heavy the petal is in size and thickness. I generally use a 26g for most petals. You could probably use a 28g for the sweet pea and other petals that size, but the 26g works fine too if using Sunrise for the most others. Remember you are going to wire the petals together and don't want the wire too flimsy to hold the petal in place. I use 24g for larger leaves and petal like the hydrangea leaves if I am using Sunrise, but 26g if I am using CK....
The Japanese wires by Sunrise are excellent, that is what I use for my gumpaste flowers. You can buy them at Global Sugar Art. I also use the CK brand wires from CK Products which are also good and a bit cheaper. I prefer Sunrise.
I agree with a lot of the other posts.. For gumpaste I only use Nicholas Lodges recipe which i make and have always used so I don't have any other to compare with.. As for drying, I use plastic, foam and napkins, just depending on how I want to shape them while I lay them to shape at the same time. I make a lot of sugar flowers and it is just practice and what works best for you. Sometimes the plastic sticks for me, just a heads up. I also let my flowers dry in the sun on...