Posts by Mae_mom

Thanks again for your suggestions!!! It really does help a lot!! And for all of the detailed advice!!! As far why she doesn't hire someone else....simply, cost. The friend of the family that is currently in charge of the cake is doing it for the cost of supplies. If I end up doing it, it will likely be for nothing. We do have other places here that do cakes but she's not willing to pay for it. Which, and I'll be the first to say it, does make this whole situation...
OH my goodness...you folks are wonderful!!! Thank you for all the input!!!!Let me try to answer your questions, as I believe i still might have more.As of right now, I am not the one doing the cake. A friend of her family is doing it but the bride is not at all happy about her skill. I think she feels like she has to let her do it. Her idea was to have the lady make a simple white cake, take it home and then have me decorate it. I'm not quite comfortable doing that; just...
A friend of mine is getting married in November. She met with the gal who is going to do her cake but the lady ONLY does cakes with buttercream-like icing with flowers and ruffles, etc. My friend is dead set against NOT having any flowers, ruffles, etc. She loves the more modern look of fondant, but her fiance insists on their cake NOT being a fondant cake. So, we're thinking... what are some tips on making a cake with buttercream icing and fondant decorations? Is...
Awesome!! Thank you both for your help!!!When I read about clipping/tying them together it said to put them on a cookie sheet for "spillage". Baking them separately seems much for feasible to me! That makes total sense for the rings!! Here I was thinking they went inside for some reason!! DUH! Thanks for helping me to see the obvious!One other question.....the little lamb cake pan. It has a small hole on the back side of him...kinda looks like it's for venting or...
Well that sounds reasonable Here are some links I found of pans like the ones I got:http://www.wineandcake.com/prodimg/WIL21052010.JPGhttp://www.cakesnkitchens.com/catalog/IMG_0541_thumb.JPGhttp://www.cakesupplies.nl/images/3d_egg_panset.jpghttp://ny-image3.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.124853271.jpgThose are some of the ones I got. My initial thought was to bake them separately and frost them together but someone told me something about clipping them together or tying them...
Hi all!!I've been trying my hand at cake decorating these past several months but recently I got this huge mix of pans...many of them are the 3d pans! I've no idea what the correct method for using them is, though. How do I use them???Also, two of them are egg shaped 3d pans (like giant easter eggs) that came with little egg shaped rings...what are the rings for?Thanks much for any info you can give me! ~Faith
Thank you for your help!!! I've looked into these brands of Fondant and I have one question....they all seem to come in 10 lbs or 5 lbs buckets....how far does that typically go in decorating cakes and how long can it last once open?
Great suggestions!!! Are these all prepackaged brands of fondant? Around here we only have the Wilton's stuff...but I'm sure I could find others if I did some traveling/looking a little deeper.Does this mean that you all also feel that MMF could NOT hold up well for a wedding cake?I've done several cakes but only with MMF (one with the wilton's fondant). Some were tiered cakes and it did sag some, but I'd assumed it was my lack of skill. Any thoughts?
So, I'm a newbie at all this cake business... I've always only used MMFondant. I saw a comment from someone who says that you cannot use MMFondant on wedding cakes because it can't stand up to the tiers, etc. Is this true? I've done tiered cakes and sure, they were a little less than perfect (Ok, a lot less ) but I assumed that was due to my lack of skill. If this is true, what kind of fondant does work best for big, stacked cakes? Thanks for your help! I keep...
Ok, great! Thanks very much. Should I know anything special about making sure the cake comes out of this pan after it's backed? This pan is intimidating me for some reason! All those nooks and crannies!!