Posts by Mae_mom

I currently have a little KA Classic but I'm looking to get a second mixer, a more powerful one. Fondant work is killing my hands (the dying of the fondant mostly) and I recently discovered that I can do this with a stand mixer, but only one more powerful than mine.I, of course, immediately thought of a bigger KA before thinking there must be other brands out there that are just as great or perhaps even more so. So... I wanted to get opinions. What's you're favorite...
I know a lot of people don't like the cricut cake but I do love mine! When I first got it, I tried fondant right away; and failed. I then tried fondant/gumpaste mix and failed. Then I tried just gumpaste and it works great. I always try to use gumpaste because of this. I keep the speed down on low and the pressure in the middle (or middle/high). I did recently try fondant again and got it to work out great, but I found that the fondant has to be super SUPER thin and...
I've made cake pops two ways; one with the crumbling of the baked cake along with the icing and mashing into a ball, and the other way by using a small cake pop baker. I have the same problem with both methods. The stick ALWAYS pops through. I've tried chocolate. I've tried candy melts. I let them set over night until the candy is hardened, and as soon as I hold them upright, the darn ball slides right down the stick and the stick pops out of the top of the ball. The...
thank you so much to both of you!!! Yes, I would be using the grass tip. I too was wondering about the stiffness, or if the whipped icing would hold the shape at all? Like I said, I've never used it before so I have no idea. haha Thank you so much for all of your help!!!!
I've never before actually used whipped icing but I've got someone asking me to make a cake using it. I've previously made a character cake that was furry looking, but I used buttercream. This is what the gal is asking for; is this possible with whipped icing? Also, it'd have fondant eyes and mouth... will the fondant adhere to the whipped icing?Thanks so much!!
Thank you all for your thoughts on this! I made a small cake that afternoon after posting this. I used the what was left of the batch of fondant from the cake I had issues with. I saw ONE small pocket of air starting to form, but I was very easily able to remedy that situation. Nothing like that other cake at all! But, that being said, I can't imagine the fondant was the issue; had the buttercream not started to slide off the cake, it would have been fine (I think). ...
Ok, I'm no expert at making cakes, but I've done some. I'm just a small, on the side kind of caker doing about 80 cakes a year. But this one from this past weekend was a total flop and I have no idea what I did wrong.No recipes were different; same cake; same buttercream; same fillings; same fondant. All methods were the same; same temperatures; same everything!It was a 2 tiered cake. When I applied the fondant onto the bottom tier, all went well. Great - let's move on...
You know I think you might be right, or at least maybe the top is just slightly cut? I wish she had more pics!! Thank you for your help! It is helpful to have another pair of caking eyes to take a look at it. I'm wondering though... if the top is just put onto the middle tier's angled side... how much do I need to worry about the torted layers of the top tier sliding off? It will be fondant covered, so maybe that helps keep it together and I'll for sure put dowels...
Thank you so much for your ideas!! I think I may try the butter idea. These are all all cake cookies and are made with cake batter. When I have the trouble with the crunchiness, it's always with the darn fudge swirl cookies, so I figured it was because I added cocoa to the chocolate portion... I just didn't know how to really fix it. But now (duh) it makes sense. Thanks so much!!
I'm wondering if anyone has a tutorial or tips on doing a square topsy turvy? I've been asked to do a cake that appears to be sort of topsy turvy... I'll try to attach the pic. Heck, maybe she found it on this site, even and one of you might have done it originally! To me it looks like the bottom is flat, the middle is simply carved on the top, and the top is flat out carved all over. But this is the only pic she had.Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thank you...