Posts by Mae_mom

I've used Satin Ice in the past and do like it, although as I expected, the black tore quite a bit.  No biggie.  It's not a big enough problem to make me not want to use it again.  ( I really don't like covering entire cakes in black anyway :) )   Here's the deal. I'm thinking of cutting WAY back on the cakes, to the point of almost quitting. However, I will of course honor the ones I have booked for the rest of the year.  Typically, I work with MMF (which I...
I know that per Wilton, it is fine to freeze the sugar sheets but what happens when a cake with pieces of them on it thaws? Do the colors of the sugar sheet run at all? I'll be using the black sheets for spots on a cow cake and it may need to be frozen by the customer. Thanks so much!
I so glad I found this thread!!! Freezing the fondant cakes has always given me a slight twitch. :p  But, I do have one question.... how do you wrap a fondant covered cake in saran wrap without it messing up the smooth finish?  Do the wrinkles in the saran wrap not affect it at all?  I feel like sometimes just touching the cake can put little dents, etc. into it.    Thanks so much!  
I'm going to be making some jar cakes and shipping them, however I need them to be 100% organic.  I've got the cake covered but the icing is throwing me off.  I need something that's made of organic ingredients (obviously) but also be stable enough to ship.  It doesn't necessarily have to be a "buttercream"... it just has to be organic! :)    Any ideas?    Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!  :)
Hi all,   I've been asked to do a small tiered cake.  Basically, a cake with a serving size of about 8. The little boy would love a three tiered cake.  I am also doing this cake for a friend so it's free.  :)  So, I'm looking to do it as cheaply (and easily) as possible.  I'd rather not use dummies because it'll still be a pretty big end result (and more fondant, etc.)    So... is it possible (and feasible) to bake say, square cakes and cut the shapes out of...
Oh my goodness! So many great replies!! Thank you all so much!! I'm looking into every single one of them!!! I do have a question for FullHouse (or anyone else that knows):  You mentioned covering first in modeling chocolate.  I've not used that but only once and that was for cupcake toppers.  Does the fondant not stick to the modeling chocolate where you cut away the windows?  Any tips that I'd need to know before putting fondant over modeling chocolate?   Thank...
I've been asked to do a vehicle cake for a wedding (groom's cake).  I'm no expert by any means when it comes to cake making but I seem to have a lot of trouble with vehicles.    Would anyone happen to have any tips or ideas or "how to's" for a vehicle cake? This will be for a muscle car.  I'm not sure what size pans to use to make it best to work with, how many, etc.  Size wise, the bride says it'll just be for him but she also doesn't want it to be too...
I only need to paint some outlines on a scooby doo head  :)  I'd rather not use vodka so is tere something else I can use that will encourage the colors to dry?  (I have no aversion to vodka... I just don't happen to have any, or any other alcohol at the house right now :)  )   Thanks so much!
I normally have my husband do the character sculptures on most of my cakes (he's just better at it than I am ). However, I just always use marshmallow fondant. We sometimes have an issue working with it for sculpted critters and people as it settles quite a bit, etc. My question is, is there a better fondant to use for this purpose? One that will stand better and be easier to work with for a more stable sculpture? We've got another wedding cake coming up soon and...
Ok... can someone please tell me the difference between a chocolate cake and a red velvet cake? I've used a few different recipes, etc. but I just can't tell the difference (other than one is dyed red). On that note, someone has asked me to make a green velvet cake. I do use various recipes, etc. but normally I fall back to the jazzed up box mixes... and ideas on how I would go about getting a green velvet cake? OR, if I do a chocolate mix, will it color green if it's...