Posts by sweetviolet

Hi! I'm not sure what the technique is called. I'm pretty new at cakes but I think that this was done in BC and with one of those x-large tips. Maybe a large rose tip? I would also say that you would work the "stripes" from the top down alternating the side that you start on to create the layered look. I'm not sure but that's how I would try it and then tweak it from there to get it right. I think you can also do this with fondant strip rolled thin. Hope this helps!
I made some tiaras on a cake before and I just set them on the top. It's the princess cake in my photos. You shouldn't need anything to hold it if it's shaped, it should stand on it's own. Hope this helps!
^ well that didn't work.....
Here's mine! It was for my daughters 2nd birthday, talk about going overboard!And just FYI to the OP I totally understood and "got" what you were saying right away! Photobucket
ummmm........ it's the tool they use to put sheet rock mud on the wall? That may not even be the right name for it. Kind of like this:...
Yes! yes! about the stainless, forgot to mention that!
I am no expert, but what I do is use a large sheet rock trowel. I apply the BC with a large ( can't even find it right now so don't know the number) tip, it's got an almost rectangular shaped end and one side is smooth (flat) and the other has ridges. I apply ridge side down to the cake and apply while spinning. I do stripes across the top. I then use the sheet rock trowel, holding the trowel still against the side of the cake while spinning on the turntable. I try to go...
What a great thread to start! I don't have a lot of examples but I use a straight sheet rock trowel to smooth butter cream, I've had to use my stainless measuring cups to cut ovals out of fondant (monkey cake) and I've used round piping tips to make tiny circles (lego cake).......
Thanks everyone!
Thank you so much! I probably did add too much. What about if I need to think the icing for color flow? What do I use to thin it?