Posts by jason_kraft

Your prices are most likely way too low. At your current price, how much of an hourly wage are you paying yourself and what is your profit margin (after taking into account ingredients and allocated overhead)? What are your competitive advantages? Who is your target market? What is your current marketing strategy?
Don't forget to include a disclaimer on the GC indicating that it is subject to your availability, as well as an expiration date.
Natural food coloring is very expensive, they tend to work pretty well for pastels but not for deeper colors.
$250 is definitely worth pursuing, but I wouldn't recommend playing games with removing tiers and taking away discounts. If I were you I would tell her that you are willing to give her an additional $50 off as long as she pays in cash by the end of the day tomorrow, and if you don't receive the cash by then you will contact a collection agency to collect the full $250 balance due.
How much was the total order price, and how much has been paid so far?
Do you have any existing orders between now and your due date? If so you should have a backup plan with other reputable bakers in your area to take over your orders in case the baby arrives early.
We suspended our business a month before our daughter was born until she was 2 months old, and for a while we relied heavily on our employee to make the cakes. If you are running the business yourself I recommend keeping the business closed for at least the first 3-6 months and see how things go from there.
You can get a free phone number through Google Voice, you can set it up so calls made to that number are automatically sent to voice mail at certain times of day (or all the time if you prefer), at other times the calls are forwarded to another number of your choice.It is worth updating your business info and reprinting your cards and labels.https://www.google.com/voice
How much do you estimate your cost will be for ingredients and allocated overhead? How many hours do you think you will spend on the order in total? Once you calculate what your hourly wage will be you may rethink accepting the order in the first place.
Here's a direct link: http://jasonkraftblog.wordpress.com/2013/05/14/the-magic-pricing-formula/ It really depends on the area...$4/slice might be too high, too low, or spot on.