Posts by jason_kraft

Check out the Pricing Formula link in my signature below, generally pricing for a cake like that would be in the $3-7/serving range. You may also want to read the Copyright Law article, since if you don't have permission from Disney you could get into serious trouble reproducing their copyrighted characters. Also, if you don't know what you will be charging, you don't have orders. Be sure to get the budget of any potential customers to see if they can actually afford...
When you are ready to launch your business, you should also have a marketing strategy in place and ready to go live on your launch date. Depending on your business and your target market this strategy will typically include a professional-looking web site, SEO, social media, and paid advertising. I wouldn't worry about not having enough pictures, all you really need is a few high quality photos to show off your work.
What kind of business do you have? What are your competitive advantages? Who is your target market?
It's not surprising that Gerber is defending their trademark, since "onesies" is in danger of being genericized. I didn't realize it was trademarked either.
For the equivalent of 112 servings (including the dummy cake) with tiered cake prices in the $5-7/serving range a good price range would be $560 - $784 plus setup and delivery.
Generally it is much easier to be profitable if you are able to design a process that takes advantage of slack time, e.g. the time you spend waiting for something to bake or cool. In terms of calculating labor cost for a product, I would work based on your desired end state (your target number of orders per week) which would hopefully allow you to work on different orders during slack time.
$48 for a mass-produced 8" cake with no decoration should be a profitable price point. Shipping is a wash ($35 to CA, which is about what Fedex charges for 2-day), and uniform packaging across the entire line helps keep costs down. From their Yelp reviews there seem to be some customer service issues: http://www.yelp.com/biz/daisy-cakes-pauline
This is done to avoid giving manufacturers free advertising...if brand names weren't covered up, there would be no incentive for them to pay for product placement.
I agree that you should get permission before you use someone else's trademarks in the name of one of your products. However if you are describing the ingredients it's fair game to use a trademark. For example, you couldn't sell an "Oreo Cake" without permission but in the description of a "Chocolate Cream Cookie Cake" on your web site you could say "made with real Oreo cookies". I would guess that most small businesses who use trademarks in product names do so without...
You can check out reviews here: http://www.amazon.com/Crumb-Boss-Guide-Owning-Bakery-ebook/product-reviews/B007DKGBQM