Posts by Gerle

I read somewhere about using powdered fruits.  I googled it online and there are several places to purchase and even a site that tells you how to make your own fruit powders.  The powder is supposed to add more flavor to whatever your making.  It's supposed to be good in buttercreams and baked goods.  I haven't tried it yet, but I did dehydrate and then grind up some raspberries and blueberries.  You do need to filter out the seeds from the raspberries, though, and there...
Nonpareil...are you willing to share some of those marble cake recipes?  They sound really good!  I have a niece who loves marble cakes and I'm looking for some different flavors other than chocolate/vanilla to try for her.  You have some very interesting and delicious sounding combinations.  The orange swirl one sounds good to me personally.  If it matters, I'm a hobby baker, don't sell cakes, and they would be used just for family members.
If using whipping cream instead of your other liquids, do you need to adjust any of the other ingredients?  Annie, I'd be interested in your recipe, too, if you don't mind.  Thanks!
Thank you auzzie.  That's very kind of you to convert it completely for me.  I am learning how to do some of it, but most of the conversion charts I found on line are more confusing than anything.  I do have a scale that does ounces/grams and I'm learning to weigh using both measurements, but with this recipe there were a few that confused me, like the spice measurements.  I hope to learn this soon, because I like weighing my ingredients now that I'm getting used to it....
That's what I call the "regular" Satin Ice.  The kind I get definitely says "White/Buttercream" on the label.  And that is the problem with the buttercream one.....you can only get white, so you either color it or have to buy the "regular" Satin Ice to get colored.  I get it from a local cake supply store here in town.  I will admit....if I add gumpaste to the buttercream fondant, it will cause it to dry out more so than using the straight fondant, so I only use it for...
Are you guys using the Satin Ice, or the Satin Ice Buttercream Fondant?  I use the Buttercream Fondant and don't seem to have the problems you're talking about here.  If I'm using fondant that is a bit older, meanig not bought the day before or the day of the cake covering, it can get a little dry, but it doesn't crack like you're talking about, especially if I knead it with a bit of shortening on my hands.  More times than not, it goes on the cake with no problem...
Thanks everyone for the info.  Relznik I figured I'd do the 1/2 tsp, too, and the ml for the liquids.  
It's for muffins, not cake.  The muffin mix is:   180 g chai tea (brewed stronger than normal) 20 g milk 125 f butter 60 g walnuts 1 apple 1 ml cardamon  1 ml cinnamon  240 g plain flour 90 g light brown muscovado sugar 90 g regular suger 2 tsp baking powder 1 egg   It has an oat crumble topping: 50 g cold butter 40 g plain flour 40 g oats
I know this post hasn't been used in over a year, but I'm having some questions regarding converting from metric.  I've googled all kinds of conversion charts and read a couple postings here on CC, but am still confused somewhat.  First, how in the heck do you convert milliliters to teaspoons?  I've looked all over and can find all kinds of conversions from grams to ounces, etc., but nothing that shows very small amounts measured in milliliters (for instance, 1 ml of...
Well, I delivered the cake and the little boy was sooo thrilled with it!  So where his parents.  They couldn't believe I'd take the time to bake and decorate the cake for them.  Made me feel good.  I got the cake there in one piece (only had one of the gumpaset figures fall backward, but had taken some buttercream and just put some of that under his feet and he stayed up just fine, along with the toothpicks I had put in his feet when I made him!).  I also made him some...