Posts by Gerle

Costumeczar, thank you for your reply.  Very informative.  Also makes me glad I don't bake for money!  Not sure I could take all the stress.  I'm sometimes stressed enough just doing for family and friends.
I actually placed that recipe in the CC recipes.  It's called Orange Carrot Cake.  I just checked and it's still there.  Don't confuse it with another one that says "Carrot and Orange Cake".
Louanne, I love making cheese cakes and have found that the sour cream cheesecake recipe by Alton Brown is a really good recipe to follow and I've never had it fail on me yet.  Give it a try and see if you have more luck with it.  You can find the recipe on foodnetwork.com.   And as far as carrot cakes, when I worked there was a lady who brought in a carrot cake to work for a pot luck we were having.  It was the best carrot cake I had ever tasted and she gave me the...
Personally, I follow a recipe exactly the first time I try it.  If there are things I don't like about the recipe as written, I will experiment with changes after that to get it to a point that I like the entire recipe.  Have to admit, however, I've only done this with savory dishes, not cakes.  For me, it's harder to detect what needs to be changed in desserts.
Don't most fondant covered cakes have buttercream frosting under them?  So if it was hot enough outside to melt the buttercream, wouldn't that affect the fondant?  I'm not a professional and I make very few fondant cakes, but was just curious after reading these posts.  I don't know if the fondant would act as a protectant for the buttercream, or if the buttercream would still melt somewhat and eventually affect the fondant covering.  And even if you use ganache under the...
Thanks!
I know this recipe is several years old, but what is "icing sugar mix"?  Never heard of that before.
The mouth seems bigger in the sketch and at more of an angle.  Maybe that's why it seems a bit off to you.
I definitely understand that, and I'm not that experienced in cake decorating, so it's something I won't be able to accomplish right now.  I'd sure like to try some day, though.
I thought I saw a pic in the CC gallery a few months back where the baker took a real heart shaped cake and put it on it's side.  I had PM'd her and asked her how she did it because it intrigued me and I was wanting to do it for my niece's bridal shower cake.  I need to look it up again and practice it because I really want to do it for her and I'll need it by June 9th.  If possible, I'd prefer to do it with all real cake instead of  fake cake.  Time will tell, however!