Posts by tbmichals

I am trying to find ways to reduce the price of my cakes. I usually only use brand names i.e. Land o Lakes, C & H, etc. are there any generics that you have found that really are just as good as the brand? I don't want to make the cake taste bad to save a few dollars but if it will taste the same and save money that would be awesome!Tara
It has a lot of good features. I never knew what to charge and I still feel it is a little high sometimes but at least I now how much money I have in a cake. Like any software it has little issues that could be improved upon. A better, easier way to enter things like fondant without me haven first to break it down per ounce myself. Overall a good purchase!!
I love the taste of this frosting but it was so thin that it just slid of the cake. I didn't add the full amount of heavy cream and added more powdered sugar that it called for. Any other suggestions?The Best Chocolate Buttercream Frostingadapted from Delilah Bakery1 1/2 cup (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened1 cup cocoa powder3/4 teaspoon salt4 cups powdered sugar2 teaspoons vanilla1/4 cup milk1 cup heavy cream2/3 cup OvaltineCream together butter, cocoa powder and salt....
I love making tiered cakes but the last 2 customers have only needed to feed 25. Any advice on what sizes I could use and not look funny or at the same time overfeed them? I go by the 1x2x4 cutting guide that says an 8" serves 25 (and last weekend it did exactly that). For this cake I really want to make 2 tiers but again don't want to short myself money by making it 2 tiers. What size do you usually offer someone that needs 25 servings?
I have actually cut a couple of my cakes using Indydebi's method. Works well. It will take a little practice with the laying it down without it falling first and making a mess. That's probably just me though. What can go wrong, usually will.
I haven't ever seen this, thank you! So if I did 1x2x4 I could get 31 servings from a 9"? And if I slipped her Indydebi's blog post on how to cut it she should get the servings right?These could be my two new favorite tools. I am questioning this every time I do a cake. I told her I would do a cake to feed 20-25, I haven't told her a size. She is a friend of mine and we have been emailing back and forth. That's why I wanted to make sure I didn't supply her with a cake to...
I have been searching the internet before asking this and have read so many different things that I thought I would ask. I am going to make a cake that needs to feed 20-25 people. I am using a 2" pan and usually make them 3 1/2-4" high. I will not be cutting the cake so I can only assume how big they will be. Thought about telling her to cut them 1 1/2x2x4. So do I need a 10 or 12 round? Her budget is lower than I usually do ($60) so I don't want to go bigger if I don't...
kathyw, that is the one I made. Maybe it was me. I took the suggestion of a reviewer and did 1 tablespoon of baking powder (instead of 2 1/2 tsp) and not quite the whole package of the gelatin. I also seperated my eggs and whipped the egg whites, folded in at the end. I would like to use one that doesn't use the gelatin, I could taste it a lot in mine.
I had a client request strawberry cake. Wanted a total scratch recipe. Tried one tonight from allrecipes.com. 2- 9x2 pans. Cake shrunk down to 8 1/2" and 1 1/2" which is not good when you are doing a 9x4 tier. And it was really dense. Can someone recommend a really good strawberry cake that is not so dense (or like pound cake) and won't shrink too bad? I don't want it to taste artificial like I used a box (not obsjecting to using one as long as it doesn't taste like it).
Any idea what to use to achieve this? Like what kind of chocolate cake, cream filling recipe, and would you do like a thin layer of chocolate syrup on top of your creme filling?Someone suggested this half kidding and I started thinking it sounded good.