Posts by JPMitchell

Agreed!  Powder for chocolates and I use gel for most coloring needs!  Liquid works best in batters.
Sure is!  I'm actually about to post a picture of the one I did and I used an ikea stainless steel bowl and the sport ball pans from wilton!  It will save you a toonnnn of time :)
I know, I most certainly kicked myself in the butt when I did not get her to sign a contract.  I've used that recipe  plenty of times and have made at least more that 2 dozen topsy turvy cakes.  Not one have I had a problem with. I've been going back and forth on that too, to only accept deliveries of topsy turvy cakes.  
Thanks ladies!  I feel terrible it happened...  And waviers at time of pickup are now a must!  But I came to find out, after she posted on facebook, that she was coming from two hours away.  From what she had implied she was only 45-50 minutes away.  And I know because I've delivered to the town she mentioned.  But she said on facebook that she had not even made it there and the bottom layer collapsed causing the top two tiers to fall over.  I have to be honest, I would...
I just wonder if I should refund all her money back.  I made a point to show her the cake after I met her and told her to be extremely careful through turns and watch out for other cars.  I was able to make it 20 minutes with the cake and it had not fallen apart.  I'm thinking I may just refund her %50.....
      Here we go:
Soooo!  I'll try and keep it short..  I had a lady contact me last week about doing a 3 tiered topsy turvy for today.  I made it yesterday evening and have been moving it around (in and out of the refrigerator from one table to another).  Well, today I drove with the cake 20 mintues to meet the customer who was coming from maybe 45-50 minutes away.  Meet her and we setup the cake in her car and off we go!  I get a text 2 hours later saying that the cake was too moist and...
Use crisco!!! I used cornstarch on the advise from others and when the satin ice dries on the cake and if it makes just a few movements the fondant will crack. The first one I did got a big o' crack right down the side of the cake, and it too had problems with elephant skin. I use satin ice with veg shortening and it actually rolls out better I feel!
I would start the week of, if it was me. I would also suggest using royal icing instead of buttercream because it will be easier to store them once it has dried! Then you won't have to worry about squishing the buttercream when you store them.
Tell me about it!! I am baking the middle tier as we speak, I'm going to have to weight it, and then cover it probably around 7ish, giving me about an hour and a half to put humpty dumpty back together again! My only hope is that the bottom tier holds! One corner of the bottom tier acts as if it wants to come apart but I'm going to try and glue it alittle with some buttercream... It is fondant, I've had satin ice crack on me before like this during a delivery... I hate...