Posts by Dani1081

vgcea - I'm with sugaredsaffron on this one - ROFLMAO!!!!!! HILARIOUS! I think you're impressions were pretty spot on - thank you for the smile!
Ditto what Jason said.  And gosh, I WISH there was such a thing as Intellectual copyright - every thought I had would potentially be worth millions in a lawsuit!! woohooo!
I just looked up that recipe and I've never heard of such a thing.  That would get rediculously expensive unless you just needed a tiny bit.  Of course you would do what everyone else has suggested - paint the royal icing with a small amount of gold after it dries.  I've even seen people (Collette Peters, for one) tint her royal icing a gold color first (with food colors, not luster dust) , pipe it and then brush the metallic gold over the dried RI. 
Another note about the original post - if you haven't charged for those cakes, you are not profiting from their copyright. You are using it for your own personal use.  Not sure it's really a problem until you start making money from it. 
OMG! Costumeczar - I watched that video and was absolutely mesmerized!!!  What an amazing machine!  Think Buddy put a set up like this in his new factory?  I can't imagine there are alot of places that do enough volume to justify something like this, but it was sure entertaining to watch.  Thanks for posting it!!!!
I agree with everyone else that those are fondant or gumpaste circles folded in half and then in half again and then opened up. As far as the silver dragees,  I think if it was me I would make a gumpaste or fondant "ribbon" and  attatch the silver dragees to that with royal icing, melted chocolate or piping gel, and then put the ribbon on your cake.  That way you can remove the ribbon before eating the cake and not have to eat all of those dragees.  If you stick them to...
Pearl123, that's a great idea to ice a circle the size of the top of your cake.  For it to be smooth, I think I would pipe the Minnie design, freeze it solid and then use a spatula to "ice" the rest of the circle, which will give you a smooth iced look instead of the piped lines.  It's easier to control how thick the icing is that way too and you can taper it to be thinner at the edges so it blends in with the rest of the icing on your cake better. HTH. 
Whenever I carve a cake, I ALWAYS freeze it for several hours before I carve it.  I only bake one type of cake - a moist, soft sponge.  I stack, fill, crumb coat and then freeze, and then I can carve whatever shape I want with absolutely no problem.  Cars, trucks, airplanes, etc. No problem.
Noahsmummy, the link that you posted tells us that they made the wings out of biscuit (I guess here in the US that would be sugar cookie?) covered with Satin Ice fondant.  Look under the picture of the cake about halfway down - it tells the details of the cake. 
"Classic ganache frosting usually has equal weights of chocolate and cream.  Since I find this consistency is just a shade too stiff to adhere well to cakes, I have very slightly increased the amount of cream so that the frosting is fudgy and thick while still able to cling to the cake."  Direct quote from The Cake Bible, Rose Levy Beranbaum   The recipe I use is from this book.  The longer it sets (cools) the stiffer it gets.