Posts by Dani1081

Here in the midwest, it seems to be normal practice to give the "honor"  of the cake serving to a trusted family member(s), or sometimes it is done by the catering staff.   I've only been asked one time, and politely declined (letting them in on the time honored tradition of family servers). I build cakes but I'm a wreck at tearing them down.  My cakes for family members always look like a hurricane served them! LOL!!
The cake tiers are covered in white fondant and then fondant strips are applied, slightly overlapped, horizontally. Start with the bottom color and go up halfway with the darker color, do your white angled overlay, also in fondat,  and then finish going up towards the top with your lighter color of strips.  Good luck!! 
Put the flower nail in the pan, on the bottom, after greasing it or spraying it with non stick spray,  and when you turn your cake out, it will be on the top. Sure the cake will rise up over it while it's baking, but you're not pulling it out that way anyway, right?  Doesn't matter how deep the pan is, the big round part will always be looking at you when you turn your cake out ( as long as you make sure it's on the bottom of the pan).  Also, I agree with Mandii about...
Oh, and my Kitchen Aid is one of my BEST friends. It's NEVER disappointed me and I use it EVERY DAY.  It's loud - that's my only criticism and I will never, ever, ever be without one again in my lifetime.  It is the best money I ever spent - and I bought a reconditioned one because I am cheap. LOL! It's a machine though, and things do break down on every single machine ever made.  If mine ever quits, I will buy another exactly like it.  If my house catches on fire, after...
I always do this too.  Plus I store the Viva in it's own plastic bag in the cake cabinet, so NOTHING gets on it.  When I get ready to smooth my cakes, I take the Viva out of the plastic bag, tear off a couple of sheets and put these aside for wiping up messes, I then pull off a sheet for smoothing and put the roll back in the bag.  Do my first smoothing pass.  throw the paper towel away.  Get out the roll and another sheet - put the roll in the bag and smooth with the new...
I use 2 in my 11 x 15 and also in my 12 x 18.  Perfect.
HELP!!!!!!!! If you are a cake baker in Missouri, you need to know that House Bill #617 has been introduced and read twice at this point.  Please don't let this bill die - we need it!!!!!! It's our chance to be able to have home based bakeries and sell our cakes legally!!! Let's get the word out there!!! I've sent messages to my rep and the rep that introduced the bill and posted this as my FB status: HELP!! There is a bill in the MO House right now that I would like...
I use cake mix all the time.  That makes no difference whatsoever.  It is completely dependent upon your structural support.  Cake tiers on cake boards or plates, resting on dowels inserted in the tier below it.  
sorry - it would help to link to the picture:   http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2059366/a/2060366/
I've made this cake a couple of times - I used the Wilton sports ball pan for the basketball, but the basket itself is actually a "double barrel" cake - two 9" round tiers stacked and then covered in fondant.  It made quite a few servings of cake.