Posts by bellacakecreations

Thanks AZ and everyone else....I think I just needed to vent to people who would understand that even decorated dummys take time and money not to mention I take pride in my work and I want them to be happy with it. Just not at the expense of my sanity. I think it's really working my nerves because this wedding is one of 2 (the other is quite large for 400 people) and it's 2 days before a bridal show so my nerves are shot as well.
cai0311 I usually only do sketches as well but she asked specifically for a dummy. Lol didn't know I was going to end up being the dummy :)   Lfredden there is absolutely a contract in place with a deposit....
I know AZCouture....that meeting was the first aside from the email asking for it and like I said I just figured it was nerves. She did pay a deposit and I'm sure that I can easily pull off the wedding cake but I'm not sure anything would please her completely. I'm going to do this second mock up and if she's not 100%, calls, texts, or emails again, or I still get the vibe that no matter what I'm screwed on this one. I'm out. And NEVER again will I do a mock up for free...
No I'm not charging her and I really should have. I've never had anyone ask me to do one for them and I just figured her nerves were shot (blah, blah, blah) so I would do one and she would be ok. WRONG!! I think it just bothers me because the design was "perfect" her own words but she wanted to change the colors a bit (No Problem) but all the phone calls and "if you can't do it"'s makes it sound like I screwed up?!?
Never had to do this before but 2 weeks ago I had a bride approach me about a cake for early January and provided me with a thumbnail picture from the internet. I found a larger version of the cake and made a dummy "mock up" that she requested. Well I meet with her and she loved that the design was perfect but she wanted to tweak all the colors...no big deal. A week later she calls and asks what day we have set to meet up so she can check out the second "mock up"...
I used royal icing over a crusting buttercream with no problem just make sure the royal is thick and the buttercream has set. There are plenty of stencils out there....this is a pic of a royal icing stenciled cake I did. It was practice and I didn't smooth my buttercream but
I have used non edible bling on a cake though I don't recommend it to anyone ordering a cake. I made sure that they knew what to remove and how to remove it. And I made sure there was a note about it in the contract. The bride wanted sparkle and she didn't like the look of sugar jewels. We used the ribbon stuff to do the bottom border of the tiers and yes I just used piping gel for everything. I think the ribbon stuff would be much easier to use and remove than the little...
Ganache especially for a topsy turvy it just gives it more strength and is easy to use.
Yeah I am expecting that call. Truth is I was horrified when she said she didn't like it. But as soon as "it's too small" came out as the only thing she could criticize and knowing I showed her the dummies as an example I started to rethink it. Saying she didn't like the design or something wasn't done well enough okay explain it to me and I'll fix it however I can or offer a refund. But a five tier cake being too small and for the price I gave her trying to help her out...
It was for a quinceanera and yes she signed off on the design. Everything was exactly as we agreed. We agreed to meet there at 4 and when she wasn't there I called....and nothing. When I texted her she said she couldn't talk and the venue could sign for it. I had to deliver a 3D grooms cake before their 6 o'clock reception on the other side of town so I couldn't stay and wait long. There are pics of it in the car right before we took it in and just one at the venue but it...