Posts by Foxicakes

Personally, I would tell her that your prices tend to be comparable with most store fronts, but that is because were YOU to have a store front, you would have to charge much more, due to your extensive training and quality of work that far exceeds most in your area!! (Whether its true or not, it should shut her up and hopefully make her feel about as tiny as she made you feel by telling you that she'd really rather have the other place do her cake...)edited to correct...
From what you describe as the photos that she sent, the hotel probably IS giving her a discount. For all you know, her son's cake may have just been plain buttercream with ribbon. And, the designer saw the masterpiece that SHE wants and is charging accordingly.
I actually think that you handled it beautifully and obviously according to the contract that she signed. Further, I am not sure why so many posters have stated that they would have treated this as a date change. It was a full two days before she contacted you again and wanted to reinstate the contract. That is plenty of time for you to have processed whatever refund that she may have been entitled to (whether you did this or not is irrelevant) as well as, had another...
I never ceased to be amazed on these forums!! WOW!! Some people have big ones!!Please, please PLEEEEASE!! call this person back (or email her so you can just "talk" and not have to listen) and tell her that during your earlier conversation, you were quite taken aback by her request to increase the cake size substantially when you mentioned that you only do cakes for free and that you are sorry that you agreed, but after further consideration and time to really think about...
So sorry that this is happening to you. I don't really have any advice to offer because I've never used the Wilton fondant, however, I have heard of several people that DO use it specifically for their dummies. Have you ever tried to make your own fondant? From marshmallows? It works really well in my opinion and I would have to imagine that it would be much more pliable than that Wilton stuff. Also there is a "real" fondant recipe on here that everyone that tries it raves...
By the way, Jenmat, I just wanted to add that you have my absolute FAVORITE website of all the ones I've seen from fellow CCer's. Even though it's not "over the top", it is VERY easy to understand. I love the fact that you include the number of servings as well as the final price in the description of each cake...brilliant idea! And, beautiful work! I can see why you don't "need" their business.
Quite frankly, I don't see a problem with calling the owner of this company and requesting a meeting with them, stating that there are some questions that have come up in several previous conversations and you want to take an opportunity to discuss, in one conversation, YOUR business policies and answer any questions that they may have. I would then begin by telling them that you truly appreciate the opportunity to do business with them, however you have some concerns that...
I am anything but naive, I can promise you that. And, I too, know that the information that was sent is true...about the bankruptcy thing. However, I am NOT gullible enough to just broadly think that just because someone had a business failure that they don't have advice that is worth sharing and heeding. Take Dave Ramsey for example. He has declared bankruptcy TWICE!! Yet people still listen to his radio show daily for advice on managing their money. . . Now, what that...
Couldn't have said it better myself!! Further, I thought that the purpose of these forums were to be encouraging to each other. It really disturbs me to see that these threads get SO out of hand and no mod seems to do anything about them. There are definitely people on here that never have a good thing to say about or to anyone. They never believe what any of the OP's have to say and their collective "MO's" seem to be to go on the attack, all the while prefacing...
@FrugalMommy...I agree with your take on pricing. I, too, feel as if the OP has a right to charge what "experienced" bakers charge for a cake that has techniques that she has, obviously, mastered in a classroom setting. To say that she doesn't "deserve" to be compensated fairly just because she mentions that she is taking this order to practice her skills, is not fair. Further, given the fact that she is charging LESS than $4.00 per serving for a fondant-covered-tiered...